COMPARATIVE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE ENDOTHELIAL FUNCTIONAL INDICES IN THE PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC OBSTRUCTIVE PULMONARY DISEASE IN THE PRESENCE OF COMORBIDITY
About the author:
Petrov Ye. Ye., Treumova S. I., Burmak Yu. G., Borysova Z. O.
CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE
Type of article:
Еstimation of endothelial function’s indices in the patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) at conditions of comorbidity with coronary artery disease (CAD) and metabolic syndrome (MS) has been carried out. 45 outpatients with COPD of the second stage (male-30, female-15, mean age – 61,3±5,4) were examined. There were 15 patients with comorbid CAD (the 2nd group), 15-with comorbid CAD and MS (the 3nd group) among them. The 1st group included 15 patients with the isolated COPD. The patients’ status was medicamentous compensation. All the groups were of the same sex and age. The control group consisted of 10 practically healthy individuals of the same sex and age. It has been established that significant increase of endothelin-1(ET-1) occurs not only in patients of the 2nd and the 3rd group in comparison with the 1st group (accordingly, 1,41 times and 1,88 times as much as among the 1st group, р<0,001), but also in case of comparison of the 3rd and the 2 nd groups (1,33 times, р<0,001). Clear regularity also was observed during the analysis of content of the stable metabolites of nitrogen oxide (NOХ). Their concentration, on the contrary, was decreased in the patients of the 2nd and the 3rd groups in comparison with the 1st (accordingly, 1,43 times and 1,79 times as little as among the patients of the 1st group, р<0,001). Decrease of this index in the patients of the 3rd group (20,1±1,7 μmol/l) in comparison with the 2nd group (25,1±1,3 μmol/l) was also significant (р<0,05), but less than statistical difference of the preceding index. We have established the significant increase of the diameter of the right brachial artery (DRBA) only in the patients of the 2nd and the 3rd groups in comparison with the 1st (accordingly, 1,24 times and 1,31 times as much as among the patients of the 1st group, р<0,001). As for the comparison of this index between the 2nd and the 3rd groups, it is necessary to note that there is just an insignificant tendency to increase in case of combination of CAD and MS with COPD (the 2nd group – 5,2±0,2 mm; the 3rd group – 5,5±0,2 mm). The same result (but to the side of decrease) was obtained during the analysis of endothelium-dependent vasodilatation (EDVD) (the difference was significant only between the 2nd and the 1st, the 3rd and the 1st groups, р<0,001). As for endothelium-independent vasodilatation (EIVD), we have revealed not only significant differences between the 2nd and the 1st groups (р<0,001), the 3rd and the 1st groups (р<0,001) but also significant decrease of this index (1,30 times) in the patients of the 3rd group in comparison with the 2nd group (р<0,05). Such a decrease of the two last-mentioned indices can be connected with diminishing of smooth muscles cells’ sensitivity to nitrovasodilators (that can be observed in case of hypoxia, signs of the heart failure, metabolic imbalance) and with intensification of the vasoconstrictor factors. Difference of initial blood velocity in the patients with comorbid pathology was more significant (the 2nd group – 0,55±0,007 м/с, the 3rd group – 0,51±0,005 m/sec., (р<0,001), not to mention the more significant decrease of these indices in comparison with the 1st group. Analysis of hyperemia (percentage of increase of the blood velocity) has shown a significant decrease of this index in the patients of the 2nd group in comparison with the 1st (р<0,01), and especially in the patients of the 3rd group in comparison with the 1st (р<0,001). In our opinion, this result and the preceding data are the confirmation of the negative influence of comorbid pathology upon the functional state of endothelium. At the same time, its significant difference between patients of the 2nd and the 3rd groups wasn’t established in spite of decrease of this index in case of comorbidity of COPD with CAD and MS. Thus, the presence of comorbid CAD and, peculiarly, CAD combined with MS in the patients with COPD is accompanied by more significant worsening of the indices of the functional state of endothelium. The changes of both vasoconstrictors (ET-1), vasodilators (NOX) and indices of brachial artery’s morphometry are the evidence for it.
chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, coronary artery disease, metabolic syndrome, endothelial dysfunction, comorbidity
- Mostovoy YuM. Khronichne obstruktyvne zakhvoryuvannya lehenʹ. Klyuchovi pytannya. Ukr. med. chasopys. 2016 Serp 25;4(114):63-5. [inUkrainian].
- Pavlov P, Ivanov Y, Glogovska P, Popova T, Borisova E, Nozharov V. Cardiovascular comorbidity in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur Respir J. 2012 Sep 1;40(56):986.
- Berezyn AE. Khronycheskaya obstruktyvnaya boleznʹ lehkykh y kardyovaskulyarnyy rysk. Ukr. med. chasopys. 2009 Kvit;2(70):62-9. [in Russian].
- Caughey GE, Ramsay EN, Vitry AI, Gilbert AL, Luszcz MA, Ryan P, et al. Comorbid chronic diseases, discordant impact on mortality in older people: a 14-year longitudinal populaton study. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2010 Dec;64(12):1036-42.
- Mannino DM, Thom D, Swensen A, Holguin F. Prevalence and outcomes of diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2008 Oct;32(4):962-9.
- Park BH, Park MS, Chang J, Kim SK, Kang YA, Jung JY, et al. Chronic obstructve pulmonary disease and metabolic syndrome: a natonwide survey in Korea. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012 May;16(5):694-700.
- Díez-Manglano J, Barquero-Romero J, Almagro P, Cabrera FJ, Lopez Garcia F, Montero L, et al. COPD patients with and without metabolic syndrome: Clinical and functional differences. Intern Emerg Med. 2014 Jun;9(4):419-25.
- Watz H, Waschki B, Kirsten A, Müller KC, Kretschmar G, Meyer T, et al. The metabolic syndrome in patients with chronic bronchitis and COPD: frequency and associated consequences for systemic inflammation and physical inactivity. Chest. 2009 Oct;136(4):1039-46.
- Clarenbach CF, Senn O, Sievi NA, Camen G, van Gestel AJ, Rossi VA, et al. Determinants of endothelial function in patients with COPD. Eur Resp J. 2013 Nov;42(5):1194-204.
- Malaya LT, Korzh AN, Balkovaya LB. Endotelial’naya disfunktsiya pri patologii serdechno-sosudistoy sistemy. Khar’kov: Torsing; 2000. 432 s. [in Russian].
- Tziomalos K, Athyros VG, Karagiannis A, Mikhailidis DP. Endothelial dysfunction in metabolic syndrome: prevalence, pathogenesis and management. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010 Feb;20(2):140-6.
- Khronichne obstruktyvne zakhvoryuvannya leheni. Adaptovana klinichna nastanova, zasnovana na dokazakh: Nakaz MOZ Ukrayiny vid 27 chervnya 2013 № 555 [Internet]. Dostupno: htp://mtd.dec.gov.ua/images/dodatki/2013_555_HOZL/2013_555_hozl_kn.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Vogelmeier CF, Criner GJ, Martnez FJ, Anzueto A, Barnes PJ, Bourbeau J, et al. Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Preventon of Chronic Obstructve Lung Disease 2017 Report. COLD Executve Summary. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 Mar 1;195(5):557-82.
- Unifikovanyy klinichnyy protokol pervynnoyi, vtorynnoyi (spetsializovanoyi) ta tretynnoyi (vysokospetsializovanoyi) medychnoyi dopomohy «Stabilʹna ishemichna khvoroba sertsya»: Nakaz MOZ Ukrayiny vid 2 bereznya 2016 roku № 152 [Internet]. Dostupno: http://mtd.dec.gov. ua/images/dodatki/2016_152_IHS/2016_152_YKPMD_IHS.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Bratus’ VV, Taleva TV, Shumakov VA. Ozhireniye, insulinorezistentnost’, metabolicheskiy sindrom: fundamental’nyye i klinicheskiye aspekty. Kiív: Chetverta khvilya; 2009. 416 s. [in Russian]. ̈
- Albert KG, Eckel RH, Grundy SM, Zimmet PZ, Cleeman JI, Donato KA, et al. Harmonizing the metabolic syndrome: a joint interim statement of the Internatonal Diabetes Federaton Task Force on Epidemiology and Preventon; Natonal Heart, Lung, and Blood Insttute; American Heart Associaton; World Heart Federaton; Internatonal Atherosclerosis Society; and Internatonal Associaton for the Study of Obesity. Circulaton. 2009 Oct 20;120(16):1640-5.
- Yarmysh NV, Hroznaya LN. Éndotelyalʹnaya dysfunktsyya y ee rehulyatornye faktory. Visnyk problem biolohiyi i medytsyny. 2014;111(3):37- 43. [in Russian].
- Veerasamy M, Bagnall A, Neely D, Allen J, Sinclair H, Kunadian V. Endothelial dysfuncton and coronary artery disease: a state of the art review. Cardiol Rev. 2015 May-Jun;23(3):119-29.
- Popova TN. Osobennosti kliniko-laboratornykh proyavleniy i nutritivnogo statusa u bol’nykh KHOBL v sochetanii s metabolicheskim sindromom [avtoreferat]. Tyumen’: Tyumenskiy gosud. med. un-t; 2009. 22 s. [in Russian].
- Morgan DR, Dixon LJ, Hanraty CG, Hughes SMT, Leahey WJ, Rooney KP, et al. Impaired endothelium-dependent and -independent vasodilaton in elderly patents with chronic heart failure. The European Journal of Heart Failure. 2004 Dec;6(7):901-8.
- Lind L. Endothelium-dependent vasodilaton, insulin resistance and the metabolic syndrome in an elderly cohort. The Prospectve Investgaton of the Vasculature in Uppsala Seniors (PIVUS) study. Atherosclerosis. 2008 Feb;196(2):795-802.
- Vertkin AL, Khovasova N.O. Komorbidnost’ – novaya patologiya. Tekhnologii yeye profilaktiki i lecheniya. Arkhiv» vnutrenney meditsiny. 2013;4(12):68-72. [in Russian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 1 Part 2 (143), 2018 year, 179-184 pages, index UDK 616.24-002:616.13:616-07