THE STATE OF NITROGEN (II) OXIDE SYSTEM IN RATS WITH MODELED «PASSIVE TOBACCO SMOKING» COMBINED WITH PROLONGED ADMINISTRATION OF MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE IN THE SEX AND AGE ASPECTS
About the author:
Rutska A. V., Krynytska I. Y.
CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE
Type of article:
Research purpose. To investigate the functional state of the nitrogen (II) oxide system in rats in case of «passive tobacco smoking» combined with prolonged administration of monosodium glutamate in the sex and age aspects. Object and research methods. Experiments were performed on 128 white mature and immature rats of both sexes, which were kept on a standard vivarium diet. Each group of animals was divided into four subgroups: I – control (n = 8); ІІ – rats with modeled «passive tobacco smoking» (n = 8); ІІІ – rats, which were injected with monosodium glutamate (n = 8); IV – rats with modeled «passive tobacco smoking» combined with the monosodium glutamate injection (n = 8). The total activity of NO-synthase (NOS) in lung tissue was determined colorimetrically by the number of formed nitrates and nitrites in the incubation medium. The number of formed nitrates and nitrites (NO x ) in blood serum and lung tissue was determined by the Griess method. Research results and their discussion. In case of «passive tobacco smoking», we have established a marked increase in the content of NO x in both serum and in the lung tissue homogenate of mature animals of both sexes. The total activity of NOS has increased by 39.1% (p<0.01) in males and by 50.6% (p<0.001) in females. After prolonged administration of monosodium glutamate, we have established a more pronounced increase in the NO x content of both serum and lung tissue in male rats (2.3 and 2.7 times respectively). Female rats also showed NOS activation and increased of NO x content vs control group, but the changes were less pronounced compared with indices of “passive tobacco smoking” animals. In animals with modeled «passive tobacco smoking» combined with the monosodium glutamate injection, a significant increase in the content of NO x in both serum and in the lung tissue homogenate was established. The total activity of NOS synthase has increased by 24.6% (p <0.02) in males and by 69.1% (p<0.001) in females. In case of «passive tobacco smoking», we have established a significant decrease in the content of NO x in both serum and in the lung tissue homogenate of immature animals of both sexes vs control group. The total activity of NOS has decreased by 22.9% (p<0.05) in males and by 33.3% (p<0.01) in females. After prolonged administration of monosodium glutamate to immature rats, we have established a pronounced increase in NO x content in both serum and in the homogenate of lung tissues in males (2.1 and 2.4 times respectively) and females (2.0 and 2.6 times, respectively) compared to the control group. The total activity of NO synthase in the lung tissue homogenate increased by 45.9% (p <0.002) in males and by 39.1% (p <0.01) in females. In immature rats with modeled «passive tobacco smoking» combined with the monosodium glutamate injection, no significant changes in the nitrogen (II) oxide system in both serum and in the lung tissue homogenate vs the control group were established. Conclusions. An intensification of nitroxydergic processes in both the lung tissue homogenate and blood serum of the both sexes mature rats with modeled «passive tobacco smoking» has been established, which may indicate a compensatory enhancement of nitrogen (II) oxide synthesis. In the sexual comparison of changes in NO-system, their reliable prevalence in female-rats was revealed. In case of «passive tobacco smoking» combined with the introduction of monosodium glutamate, an intensification of nitroxydergic processes was also observed, but the changes were not more pronounced than in case of «passive tobacco smoking». In immature rats of both sexes, in case of «passive tobacco smoking», reduction of nitroxydergic processes was observed both in the lung tissue homogenate and serum, which may indicate the depletion of adaptive mechanisms of regulation of the nitrogen (II) oxide formation and endothelial dysfunction. In case of «passive tobacco smoking» combined with the monosodium glutamate injection an intensification of nitroxydergic processes has been established.
tobacco smokе, sodium glutamate, nitrogen (II) oxide
- Xu X. Annual Healthcare Spending Attributable to Cigarette Smoking. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2015;48(3):326-33.
- Martell BN. Disparities in Adult Cigarette Smoking – United States, 2002-2005 and 2010-2013. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2016;65:753-58.
- Kontrol nad tiutiunom v Ukraini. Druhyi Natsionalnyi zvit. K.: MOZ Ukrainy, DU «Ukrainskyi instytut stratehichnykh doslidzhen MOZ Ukrainy»; 2014. 128 s. [in Ukrainian].
- Solomenchuk TM. Metabolichni porushennia u zhinok, khvorykh na nestabilnu stenokardiiu, zalezhno vid zvychky kurinnia. Bukovynskyi medychnyi visnyk. 2017;21;2(1):85-8. [in Ukrainian].
- Peirson L. Interventions for prevention and treatment of tobacco smoking in school-aged children and adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Preventive Medicine. 2016;85:20-31.
- Preeti S. A Study on Prevalence of Tobacco Use among Children: A Literature Review. Journal of Alcoholism and Drug Dependence. 2015;3-1.
- Beltiukova SV. Opredelenie glutamata natriia metodom tonkosloinoi khromatografii s liuminestcentnym detektirovaniem. Vіsnik ONU. Khіmіia. 2016;21;1(57):50-8. [in Russian].
- Goncharenko MV. Vliianie glutamata natriia na razvitie mikroflory i biokhimicheskie svoistva solenoi seldi. Vestnik AGTU. Ser.: Rybnoe khoziaistvo. 2011;2:143-7. [in Russian].
- Netiukhailo LH, Kharchenko SV. Aktyvni formy kysniu (ohliad literatury). Molodyi vchenyi. 2014;9:131-5. [in Ukrainian].
- Soloveva AG, Kuznetcova VL, Peretiagin SP, Didenko NV, Dudar AI. Rol oksida azota v protcessakh svobodnoradikalnogo okisleniia. Vestnik Rossiiskoi voenno-meditcinskoi akademii. 2016;1(53):228-33. [in Russian].
- Solomina AS. Vliianie afobazola na geneticheskuiu i reproduktivnuiu toksichnost tabachnogo dyma u krys [avtoreferat]. M.; 2011. 278 s. [in Russian].
- Lizurchik LV, Sheida EV. Vliianie tabachnogo dyma na soderzhanie toksichnykh elementov v organizme krys. Vestn. OGU. 2014;6(167):71-4. [in Russian].
- European convention for the protection of vertebrate animals used for experimental and other scientific purposes: Council of Europe. Strasbourg. 1986;123:52.
- Stuehr D, Kwon NS, Nathan C, Griffiths O. Nwω-Hydroxy-L-arginine is an intermediate in the biosynthesis of nitric oxide from L-arginine. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 1991;266:6259-63.
- Ridnour L, Sim JE, Hayward M, Wink DA, Martin SM, Buettner GR, et al. A spectrophotometric method for the direct detection and quantitation of nitric oxide, nitrite, and nitrate in cell culture media. Analytical Biochemistry. 2000;281(2):223-9.
- Pishak VP, Krivchanskaia MI, Gromik OA. Nikotinzavisimyi oksidativnyi stress i rol melatonina. Ukraуnskii zhurnal klinichnoу ta laboratornoу meditcini. 2013;8;4:17-9. [in Russian].
- Yanbaeva DG, Dentener MA, Creutzberg EC, Wesseling G, Wouters EF. Systemic effects of smoking. Chest. 2007;131(5):1557-66.
- Pozhilova EV, Novikov VE. Sintaza oksida azota i endogennyi oksid azota v fiziologii i patologii kletki. Vestnik Smolenskoi gosudarstvennoi meditcinskoi akademii. 2015;14;4:35-41. [in Russian].
- Omar SA, Webb AG. Nitrite reduction and cardiovascular protection. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology. 2014;73:57-69.
- Karimov KhIa, Inoiatova FKh, Shukurov RA. Polovye razlichiia v razvitii tkanevogo vospaleniia i ikh sviaz s urovnem oksida azota pri dlitelnom vozdeistvii tabachnogo dyma. Uspekhi sovremennogo estestvoznaniia. 2006;1:22-5. [in Russian].
- Wang X, Desai K, Juurlink BhJ, Champlain J, Wu L. Gender-related differences in advanced glycation endproducts, oxidative stress markers and nitric oxide synthases in rats. Kidney International. 2006;69:281-7.
- Ghasemi A, Syedmoradi L, Momenan A, Zahediasl S, Azizi F. The influence of cigarette and qalyan (hookah) smoking on serum nitric oxide metabolite concentration. Scand. J. of Clin. and Labor. Investig. 2010;70:116-21.
- Oyewo EB, Afolabi OK, Akanji MA. Sub-chronic passive cigarette smoke exposures supressed phagocytic functions and precipitated inflammatory responses in male Wistar rats. Acad. J. Biotechnol. 2017;5(4):057-72.
- Wright JL, Dai J, Zay K, Price K, Gilks CB, Churg A. Effects of cigarette smoke on nitric oxide synthase expression in the rat lung. Lab Invest. 1999;79:975-83.
- Hoyt JC, Robbins RA, Habib M, Springall DR, Buttery LD, Polak JM, et al. Cigarette smoke decreases inducible nitric oxide synthase in lung epithelial cells. Expl. Lung Res. 2003;29(1):17-28.
- Vieira van Keulen H, Silva Gomes A, Mayla Cardoso Fernandes Toffolo, Erick Esteves Oliveira, Luan Cristian da Silva, Sheila Cristina Potente Dutra Luquetti, et al. Serum concentration of nitric oxide in women smokers and nonsmokers with overweight. Nutr Hosp. 2015;32(4):1493-9.
- Dinakar C, Lapuente M, Barnes C, Garg U. Real-life environmental tobacco exposure does not affect exhaled nitric oxide levels in asthmatic children. J Asthma. 2005;42:113-8.
- Oleshchuk OM, Chornomydz AV. Znachennia systemy oksydu azotu u funktsionuvanni shlunka v normi ta pry patolohii. Medychna ta klinichna khimiia. 2016;18;2:84-95. [in Ukrainian].
- Carnevale R, Sciarretta S, Violi F, Nocella C, Loffredo L, Perri L, et al. Acute Impact of Tobacco vs Electronic Cigarette Smoking on Oxidative Stress and Vascular Function. CHEST. 2016;150(3):606-12.
- Konior A, Schramm A, Czesnikiewicz Guzik M, Guzik TJ. NADPH oxidases in vascular pathology. Antioxid. Redox. Signal. 2014;20(17):2794-814.
- Liu J, Wang J, Sim A, Mohan N, Chow S, Yates D, et al. Regulation of Nitric Oxide by Cigarette Smoke in Airway Cells. Open Journal of Respiratory Diseases. 2012;2;1:9-16.
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 1 Part 2 (143), 2018 year, 189-194 pages, index UDK 612.015-06:613.84:612.013:616-099:547.466.64]-092.9