EFFICIENCY OF MODIFIED METHOD TREATMENT OF KERATOCONUS
About the author:
Kondratenko Y. M., Shargorodska I. V., Lavryk N. S., Lysenko M. G.
METHODS AND METHODOLOGIES
Type of article:
Keratoconus is a disorder of the eye characterized by thinning and protrusion of the cornea, resulting in an irregular, conical shape and is the cause of persistent decline in vision and disability of young able-bodied people. Despite development of lamellar techniques of corneal surgery, penetrating keratoplasty remains the “gold standard” in the keratoconus treatment. The rapid loss of endothelial cells on the corneal graft at 6 months after keratoplasty is an important early symptom of late graft rejection (Lass J.H. et all, 2010). The aim of this study is to improve the quality of preservation of endothelial cells on the native corneal grafts. This task can be solved by qualitative preliminary selection of donor tissue and reduction of intraoperative traumatization of endothelium on corneal graft. Methods. In Kyiv ophthalmic city hospital “Eye microsurgery center” (Kyiv, Ukraine) determined preoperative endothelium cells density by Heidelberg Retina Tomograph HRT II Rostock Cornea Module and were archived available endothelium cells images (590 human cadaveric corneas). Endothelial cells reflectivity analyses performed by ImageJ free software. Proposed to introduce the concept of the coefficient of reflectivity of corneal endothelial cells. Also noted the presence of organelles and “swelling” endothelial cells. In 1st clinic group (n=57) all the patients got standard penetrating keratoplasty procedure with standardly graft exams. Investigated the dependence of rapid endothelial cells loss with endothelial morphometric properties. In 2nd clinic group (n=29) all the patients got standard penetrating keratoplasty procedure with qualitative screening of corneas with new morphometric criteria (coefficient of corneal endothelial reflectivity more, than 50; without “swelling” endothelial cells and without organelles in the endothelial cells). In 3rd clinic group (n=43) patients got qualitative screening of corneas (like 2nd group), but viscoprotection during “back table” procedure has been developed. Results. As a result, combination of qualitative rejection of cadaveric corneas with morphometric endothelial factors reduces the percentage of cell loss four times. Tree morphometric factors in any combination were related with rapid loss of endothelial cells in graft: coefficient of corneal endothelial reflectivity lower, than 50; “swelling” endothelial cells and organelles in the endothelial cells. Determined that total (absolute and relative) qualitative rejection make unsuitable for penetrating keratoplasty for keratoconus approximately 60% of cadaveric corneas. Discussion. This study may help to reduce endothelial cells loss and frequency of late endothelial rejection of corneal grafts. Tree morphometric factors in any combination were related with rapid loss of endothelial cells in graft: coefficient of corneal endothelial reflectivity lower, than 50; “swelling” endothelial cells and organelles in the endothelial cells. Perhaps, these factors are markers of endothelial cells apoptosis. Conclusion. Investigated the dependence of rapid endothelial cells loss with endothelial morphometric properties. Proposed to introduce the concept of the coefficient of reflectivity of corneal endothelial cells. Proposed the methodology of endothelial viscoprotection during “back table” procedure before penetrating keratoplasty.
keratoconus, confocal microscopy, ImageJ, penetrating keratoplasty, donor corneal tissue quality, viability of donor corneal endothelium
- Patel SV. Graft survival after penetrating keratoplasty. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2011 March;151(3):397-8.
- Tan DT, Mehta JS. Future directions in lamellar corneal transplantation. Cornea. 2007 October;26(9 Suppl 1):21-8.
- Halliday BL, Ritten SA. Effect of donor parameters on primary graft failure and the recovery of acuity after keratoplasty. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 1990;74:7-11.
- Patel SV, Diehl NN, Hodge DO, Bourne WM. Donor risk factors for graft failure in a 20-year study of penetrating Keratoplasty. Archives of Ophthalmology. 2010 April;128(4):418-25.
- Feizi S, Javadi MA, Ghasemi H, Javadi F. Effect of Donor Graft Quality on Clinical Outcomes After Penetrating Keratoplasty for Keratoconus. Journal of Ophthalmic and Vision Research. 2015;10(4):364-9.
- Inoue K, Amano S, Oshika T, Tsuru T. Risk factors for corneal graft failure and rejection in penetrating Keratoplasty. Acta Ophthalmologica. 2001 June;79(3):251-5.
- Javadi MA, Motlagh BF, Jafarinasab MR, Rabbanikhah Z, Anissian A, Souri H, Yazdani S. Outcomes of penetrating keratoplasty in keratoconus. Cornea. 2005 November;24(8):941-6.
- Troutman RC, Lawless MA. Penetrating keratoplasty for keratoconus. Cornea. 1987;6(4):298-305.
- Price FWJr, Whitson WE, Marks RG. Graft survival in four common groups of patients undergoing penetrating keratoplasty. Ophthalmology. 1991 March;98(3):322-8.
- Kelly TL, Williams KA, Coster DJ. Australian Corneal Graft Registry. Corneal transplantation for keratoconus: a registry study. Archives of Ophthalmology. 2011;129(6):691-7.
- Puchkovskaya NA, Barkhash SA, Bushmich DG, Voino-Yasenetsky VV, Muchnik SR. Osnovi transplantasii rogivki. Kyiv: Zdorovie; 1971. 278 s. [in Russian].
- ImageJ – domashnya storinka. Dostupno: https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/ [in Russian].
- Sergienko NM, Kondratenko UN, Chumak NV, Daneshmand Eslami Amirreza, vynakhidnyky; Sposib profilaktiki ekzogennogo infikuvanya at conducted ophthalmology operations. Pat. № 77873 Ukraine, MPK (2006): А 61 F 9/007. № а 200505121; zayavl. 30.05.05; publ. 15.01.07, Bul. № 1. [in Ukrainian].
- Nikonenko AG. Vedenie v kolichestvenuyu gistologiyu. Kiyv: Kniga-plus; 2013. 256 s. [in Russian].
- Lass JH, Sugar A, Benetz BA, Dontchev M, Gal RL, Kollman C, et al. Endothelial Cell Density to Predict Endothelial Graft Failure After Penetrating Keratoplasty. Archives of Ophthalmology. 2010;128(1):63-9.
- Amosov NM, Sidоrenko LM, Mintser OP. Factori riska protezirovaniya mitralnogo klapana. Grudnaya chirurgaiya. 1975;3:9-16. [in Russian].
- Kulbak S. Teoriya informacii i statastiki. M.: Nauka; 1967. 408 s. [in Russian].
- Gubler EV. Vichislitelnie metodi analiza i raspoznavaniya patologicheskich protsesov. Leningrad: Medizina; 1978. s. 91-124, 126-46. [in Russian].
- Buratto L. Chirurgaya kataracti. Perechod ot extrakapsulyarnoy extrakchii kataracti k fakoemulsifikacii. Fabiano Editore; 1999. 474 s. [in Russian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 1 Part 2 (143), 2018 year, 275-286 pages, index UDK 617.713-007.64-089.843