EFFECT OF LECETHIN USAGE ON CHANGES OF CYTOKIN LEVELS IN PATIENTS WITH MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
About the author:
Vivchar R. Ya., Lapovets’ L. Ye.
CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE
Type of article:
To date, unexplained reasons and pathogenic mechanisms, which underlie the development and progression of multiple sclerosis (MS) remain. It is generally recognized that MS in etiological terms is a multifactorial disease. Today it is thought that MS is an autoimmune process that arises in the body with a genetically determined defect in the immune response and is marked by myelin defeat. Lecithin is a major component in the formation of myelin and is an important component of cellular membranes. It feeds fat shells, which cover nerve fibers. There is evidence that the use of lecithin leads to remission of multiple sclerosis. Study of changes in levels of cytokines at different stages of development of MS in the use of patients with lecithin is an interesting and relevant research.The aim of the study was to investigate the changes in levels of cytokines (IL1β, IL-33, IL-2, TNF-α) in serum of patients with various forms of multiple sclerosis before and after administration of lecithin.135 patients with a verified diagnosis of MS were examined based on MacDonald criteria from 19 to 65 years old (59 women, 76 men). Primary progressive type of flow is established in 45 patients, secondary progressive – 45, remitting-recurrent type of course – in 45 patients. The control group consisted of 80 virtually healthy male volunteers aged 25-45 years. The determination of interleukins (IL-1β, IL-2, TNF-α) was carried out using a set of reagents from VectorBest Company, Ukraine. The level of IL-33 was determined using a set of Human IL-33 ELISA Kit reagents (Bender Medsystems, Austria). Part of patients (60 people with different clinical forms of MS) besides standard therapy, it is suggested to take capsules of lecithin for three months. They took biologically active additive Lecithin (1 capsule – 560 mg lecithin) from Natures Sunshine (USA) 1 capsule twice daily with food. In patients with a primary progressive form of MS, the level of IL-1β remained higher than normal (2.7 times), but decreased 1.4 times compared to a similar group of patients who did not use lecithin. Patients with secondary progressive MS after treatment with lecithin also showed a decrease in the level of IL-1β (1.5 times compared with the group that did not use lecithin). In the group of recurrent-progressive MS after administration of lecithin, the level of IL-1β virtually reached the norm of norm. The content of IL-2 in patients with an initially progressive form of MS after a course of lecithin decreased 1.5 times compared with a similar group of patients without lecithin, but remained higher than normal 3.5 times. In patients with a secondary progressive form of MS after administration of lecithin, the level of IL-2 remained twice as high as control, but decreased 1.4 times than in the non-use group of lecithin. The dynamics of changes in the concentration of IL-33 in the examined groups of patients after the course of lecithin was as follows: in the group of patients with the primary progressive form of MS remained 4 times lower, but increased in comparison with the group of patients who did not use lecithin 1.3 times; in the group of patients with a secondary progressive form of MS was three times lower than normal, but increased in comparison with the similar group without lecithin 1.2 times; in patients with recurrent-progressive MS was lower in the 2.4 times, but increased in relation to the group of patients who did not use lecithin1.14 times. The level of TNF-α in subjects with both primary and secondary progressive MS after administration of lecithin was lower (1.15 times and 1.4 times in accordance less). In the group, the remitting-recurring flow of PCs, the TNF-α content was virtually normal. Investigation of the content of cytokines in patients with MS, depending on the activity of the process, makes it possible to predict the course of the disease. As can be seen from the above data, the use of lecithin in patients of all the examined groups contributed to a more pronounced decrease in the levels of proinflammatory cytokines and an increase in the synthesis of IL-33, which is definitely a positive trend.
multiple sclerosis, cytokines, lecithin
- Vorob’yeva AA, Ivanova MV, Fominykh VV, Zaxarova MN, Zy`gangy`rova HA, Gulyaeva NV. Biomarkery rasseyannogo skleroza (obzor i sobstvennyye dannyye). Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii im. S. S. Korsakova. 2013 Okt 25;113(10):23-31. [in Russiаn].
- Voloshina NP, Levchenko IL, Negreba TV. Gendernyye osobennosti immunnogo statusa pri progrediyentnykh tipakh techeniya rasseyannogo skleroza. Ukr. vestnik psikhonevrologii. 2011 Juli 28;19(4):5-9. [in Russiаn].
- Gulyayeva SYe, Ivanushka LA, Ovchinnikov AV, Besednova NA, Korotkova MA, Sharkova VA, i dr. Disbalans tsitokinov kak odin iz prognosticheski kriteriyev rasseyannogo skleroza. Tikhookeanskiy meditsinskiy zhurnal. 2010 Febr 19;42(4):55-8. [in Russiаn].
- Tsang BK, Macdonell R. Multiple sclerosis-diagnosis, management and prognosis. Aust Fam Physician. 2011 Jan-Feb;40(12):948-55.
- Boyko AN, Boyko AV, Gusev YeI. Vybor optimal’nogo preparata dlya patogeneticheskogo lecheniya rasseyannogo skleroza: sovremennoye sostoyaniye problemy (obzor literatury). Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii im. S. S. Korsakova. 2014 Okt 20;114(10):77-91. [in Russiаn].
- Makarov SV. Kliniko-immunologicheskaya kharakteristika bol’nykh s remittiruyushchim i progressiruyushchim techeniyem rasseyannogo skleroza. Fundamental’nyye issledovaniya. 2014 Apr 03;4:546-50. [in Russiаn].
- Bisaga AN, Odinochka MM, Boyko AN. Vozmozhnosti lecheniya obostreniy rasseyannogo skleroza bez primeneniya kortikosteroidov: rol’ metabolicheskoy i antioksidantnoy terapii. Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii im. S. S. Korsakova. 2011 Febr;111(2):44-8. [in Russiаn].
- Delov GA, Rozhdestvenskiy AS, Marks YeA. Kliniko-elektrofiziologicheskaya i molekulyarno-geneticheskaya kharakteristika techeniya remittiruyushchego rasseyannogo skleroza. Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii im. S. S. Korsakova. 2013 Okt 25;113(10):55-9. [in Russiаn].
- McDonald WI, Compston A, Edan G, Goodkin D, Hartung HP, Lublin FD, et al. Recommended diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines from the International Panel on the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2001 Jul;50(1):121-7.
- Orinchak LB. Rasseyannyy skleroz i vitamin D. Ukrainskaya nevrologicheskiy zhurnal. 2013 Jan;2(27):28-33. [in Russiаn].
- Johansson S, Gottberg K, Kierkegaard M, Ytterberg Ch. Variations in and predictors of the occurrence of depressive symptoms and mood symptoms in multiple sclerosis: a longitudinal two-year study. BMC. Neurol. 2016 March 5; 16: 32.
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 4 part 1 (146), 2018 year, 57-60 pages, index UDK 616.832-004.2:615.279-042.3:612.017