PROFESSIONAL COMPETITION AS PEDAGOGICAL EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY FOR FUTURE DENTISTS
About the author:
Marchenko І. Ya., Tkachenko І. M., Shundrik M. A., Nazarenko Z. Yu.
Type of article:
Relevance of work. The problem of becoming a personality of a future specialist during his study at a higher medical educational establishment is considered one of the priorities of the Law of Ukraine “On Higher Education”, the National Doctrine of the Development of Education in Ukraine for 2012-2021, the Program for the Development of Medical Education till 2020. Special attention is paid to the need to ensure a productive orientation of the individual, early inclusion in the process of professional activity and communication, actualization of the motives of achievement, to strengthen the need for self-development and self-realization, developing the skills of educational and cognitive activity as a means of didactic adaptation; development of professional thinking; as well as the need to increase the accordance of the tasks of the educational process to the real tasks that have to be solved by medical professionals at various stages of professional activity. According to the requirements of the “Standard of Higher Education of Ukraine” in the course of training specialists of the second (master’s) level of higher education in the field of knowledge 22 “Health protection” specialty 221 “Dentistry” discipline “Propaedeutics of therapeutic dentistry” ensures the acquiring general and professional competencies. Monitoring and assessing the quality of their acquisition, that is, the organization of feedback as a means of managing the educational process, is a topical issue of educational services of higher educational institutions. For this purpose, the team of teachers of the chair of Propaedeutics of therapeutic dentistry Ukrainian Medical Stomatological Academy developed a methodical scenario of the professional competition “Lege artis”, which aims to developing and consolidating theoretical knowledge from the content module “Сlinical features of the teeth structure, tissues and organs of the oral cavity” and the mastery and improvement of manual skills in modeling teeth of different groups. The educational goal of the competition is to establish the priority of professional skills and theoretical training for a future specialist – a dentist who is able to provide the full range of medical services at the highest level. The competition is held in 2 rounds. First round is a tooth design that will be determined by drawing lots. The assessment of the quality of teeth modeling is performed on the following parameters: form of crown; ratio of sizes of crown/root; number, position, form of chewing cusps; form, depth of fissure, presence of a blind pit, additional cusp; number, position, form of the roots, apical foramens; expressed signs of crown curvature; expressed signs of the crown angle; expressed signs of deviation of roots; expressed signs of contact surfaces. As a result of the competition, 7-10 participants with the best points will pass in the second round. In the 2nd round the participants will answer 20 questions. The sum of points for the 1st and 2nd rounds will determine 3 winners. Conclusions. Improving teeth modeling techniques has great educational capabilities, contributes to the development of a sense of form, rhythm, the ratio of part and whole, educates accuracy, patience, perseverance. The work on modeling the tooth, on the one hand, facilitates the ability to use the acquired theoretical knowledge “in practice”, on the other hand it is nourished by questions that arise in the process of practical work. In the future, the art of dental modeling will be transferred to the clinic of therapeutic dentistry during restoration work.
professional competition, student-dentists learning, teeth modeling
- Denysova OV. Stanovlenye professyonalnoi ydentychnosty studenta-medyka v obrazovatelnom protsesse vuza [avtoreferat]. Ekaterenburh, 2008. 25 s. [in Russiаn].
- Nelovkina-Bernal OA. Pedahohichni umovy formuvannia profesiinoi spriamovanosti studentiv medychnykh spetsialnostei. Visnyk LNU imeni Tarasa Shevchenka. Luhansk. 2010;10(197),ch.1:12-21. [in Ukrainian].
- Pro vyshchu osvitu [Internet]. Zakon Ukrainy vid 01.07.2014 № 1556-VII. Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady (VVR). 2014. 37-38. St. 2004. Dostupno: http://zakon2.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18 [in Ukrainian].
- Tkachenko IM, Marchenko IYa. Propedevtyka terapevtychnoi stomatolohii. Prymirna prohrama navchalnoi dystsypliny pidhotovky fakhivtsiv druhoho(mahisterskoho) rivnia vyshchoi osvity. Kyiv; 2017. 31 s. [in Ukrainian].
- Marchenko IYa, Tkachenko IM, Shundryk MA, Petrushanko VM, Lobach LM, Brailko NM. Profesiini vminnia studentiv-stomatolohiv yak osnovna skladova fakhovoi i zahalnoi kompetentnosti. Aktualni pytannia yakosti medychnoi osvity: XIII Vseukrainska naukovo-praktychna konferentsiia z mizhnarodnoiu uchastiu. Ternopil. 2016;2:141-3. [in Ukrainian].
- Marchenko IYa, Tkachenko IM, Shundryk MA, Nazarenko ZYu, Brailko NM. “Lege artis” u praktychnii pidhotovtsi maibutnikh stomatolohiv. Osnovni napriamky udoskonalennia pidhotovky medychnykh kadriv u suchasnykh umovakh: materialy navchalno-naukovoi konferentsii z mizhnarodnoiu uchastiu. Poltava; 2015. s. 160-1. [in Ukrainian].
- Lacopino AM. The influence of “new science” on dental education: current concepts, trends, and models for the future. J Dent Educ. 2007 Apr;71(4):450-62.
- Albino JE, Young SK, Neumann LM, Kramer GA, Andrieu SC, Henson L, et al. Assessing dental students’ competence: best practice recommendations in the performance assessment literature and investigation of current practices in predoctoral dental education. J Dent Educ. 2008 Dec;72(12):1405-35.
- Maksymenko SD, Filonenko MM. Pedahohika vyshchoi medychnoi osvity [tekst]: pidruchnyk. Kyiv: Tsentr uchbovoi literatury; 2014. 288 s. [in Ukrainian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 4 part 1 (146), 2018 year, 153-156 pages, index UDK 378.6:616.31.091.33:659.168