METABOLIC SYNDROME AND THE PHENOMENON OF INSULIN RESISTANCE. GERIATRIC ASPECTS OF THE PROBLEM
About the author:
Sakevych V. D., Trybrat T. A., Sakevych V. I., Serazhim S. N., Subota E. N.
Type of article:
The current demographic situation is characterized by a rapid increase in the population of elderly people in the world. The population of the globe, especially in industrialized countries, is constantly aging. In our time on Earth, the proportion of people over 60 years old is more than 15%, and the population is over 65 years old. According to forecasts by 2020, their number will grow at least 2 times. Today, as before, there is a view that age is an important factor that allows metabolic disorders that slowly progress to fully manifest. Data from epidemiological studies have shown that the frequency of MS increases gradually with the aging of the body, dramatically increasing in people over 50 years of age. The frequency of MS is 20-40%, increases with age in both men and women, reaching the maximum value in the age group of 60-69 years. Age is an important factor that allows metabolic disorders that slowly progress completely to manifest. The frequency of metabolic syndrome increases gradually with the aging of the body, rising sharply in persons older than 50 years. Factors that underlie atherosclerosis and type II diabetes can be considered as a subject of gerontology. Metabolic syndrome (MS) is a complex of interconnected risk factors for the development of cardiovascular diseases (CVD) and diabetes mellitus (DM). These factors include dysglycemia, high blood pressure (AT), elevated levels of triglycerides, low cholesterol levels of high density lipoprotein (HDL) and obesity (especially central). For the first time, the question of the association of metabolic syndrome with age was introduced on the agenda at the XIV International Atherosclerosis Symposium held by the Lorenzina Foundation in Rome in 2006. It should be noted that at present, attention is focused on the possible role of insulin resistance as a link between the factors that are components of the MS, but the pathogenesis remains completely unclear, as well as the establishment of clear diagnostic criteria. If the pathogenesis, clinical manifestations and, accordingly, the therapeutic tactic of the glycemic profile in people with MS in young and middle age are more predictable, then the gerontological aspects of this problem have their own peculiarities associated with the age-old peculiarities of metabolic processes. Lower tissue sensitivity to insulin (insulin resistance) is the main mechanism that leads to carbohydrate metabolism disorders in people with excessive body weight. It is important to grow up visceral fat tissue - a trigger that triggers the pathological process. In the elderly and the elderly, decreased peripheral tissue sensitivity to insulin and, consequently, decreased glucose uptake by peripheral tissues. The phenomenon of insulin resistance is currently not sufficiently studied, the reasons for widening of the visceral tissue have not been clarified, the factors of development of the pathological process have not been identified. However, it is increasingly predictable that metabolic disorders, which are at the heart of atherosclerosis and type II diabetes, can be considered as a subject of gerontology. The increase in the prevalence of MS with age, taking into account the progressive aging of the population, indicates the need to find new methods and targets for the treatment of this potentially threatening condition. In connection with an increase in the specific gravity of polypharmacy and forced polytherapy in geriatric practice, it is advisable to concentrate efforts to find predominantly non-pharmacological methods for correction of basic pathophysiological mechanisms of MS.
metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, metabolism
- Kaydashev IP, Borzykh OA, Herasymenko ND, Rasin MC, Savchenko LH, Dihtyar NI. Formuvannya klinichnoho myslennya pry vivchenni osnov Heron-tolohiyi u studentiv 3 kursu stomatolohichnoho fakulʹtetu. Svit medytsyny ta biolohiyi. 2009;3:126-9. [in Ukrainian].
- Anisimov VN. Molekulyarnyye i fiziologicheskiye mekhanizmy stareniya. 2003. 468 s. [in Russian].
- Shabalin VN. Rukovodstvo po gerontologii: rukovodstvo dlya sistemy poslevuzovskogo obrazovaniya vrachey. M.: Tsitadel’-treyd; 2005. 796 s. [in Russian].
- Perederiy VG, Tkach SM. Klinicheskiye lektsii po vnutrennim boleznyam. K.: Zdorov’ya; 1998. 560 s. [in Russian].
- Grundy SM, Brewer HB Jr, Cleeman J. Definition of metabolic syndrome: Report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. American Heart Association conference on scientific issues related to definition. Circulation. 2004;109:433-8.
- Lavrenko AV, Kaydashev IP. Metabolichnyy syndrom: aktualʹnistʹ sehodnya. Aktualʹni problemy suchasnoyi medytsyny. 2009;4(2):243-7. [in Ukrainian].
- Zimmet P, Shaw J, Alberti G. Preventing type 2 diabetes and the dysmetabolic syndrome in the real world: a realistic view. Diabetic Medicine. 2003;20(9):693-702.
- Mamedov MN. Znachimost’ metabolicheskogo sindroma v klinicheskoy praktike: diagnosticheskiye osnovy i puti medikamentoznoy korrektsii. Novosti meditsiny i farmatsii. 2007;10:16-7. [in Russian].
- Simmons RK, Alberti KG, Gale EA, Colagiuri S, Tuomilehto J, Qiao Q, et al. The metabolic syndrome: useful concept or clinical tool? Peport of WHO Expert Consultation. Diabetologia. 2010 Apr;53(4):600-5.
- Berezin AYe. Kontseptsiya «patsiyenta vysokogo kardiovaskulyarnogo riska»: v tsentre vnimaniya — sakharnyy diabet i metabolicheskiy sindrom (obzor klinicheskikh rekomendatsiy). Ukr. med. chasopis. 2007;2(58):20-3. Dostupno: www.umj.com.ua/uploads/archive/58/pdf/135_ rus.pdf [in Russian].
- Rasin MS, Lavrenko AV, Gerasimenko ND. Metabolicheskiy sindrom: «sovokupnost’ otdel’nykh faktorov riska serdechno-sosudistykh zabolevaniy» ili bolezn’ khronicheskogo sistemnogo vospaleniya? Vísnik problem bíologíí̈ í meditsini. 2011;2(1):155-9. [in Russian].
- Tereshina YeV. Metabolicheskiye narusheniya - osnova zavisimykh ot vozrasta zabolevaniy ili stareniye organizma?Sostoyaniye problemy. Uspekhi gerontologii. 2009;1:129-38. [in Russian].
- The IDF consensus worldwide definition of the metabolic syndrome. Medscape Diabetes & Endocrinology. 2005;7(2).
- Grundy SM, Cleeman JI, Daniels SR. American Heart Associa-tion; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome: an American Heart Association/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Scientific Statement. Circulation. 2005;112(17):2735-52.
- Zhdan VM, Kaydashev IP, Ivanytsʹkyy IV. Rivenʹ insulinorezistentnosti, leptynu ta adyponektynu plazmy krovy u khvoroho na revmatoyidnyy artryt v zalezhnosti vid nayavnosti metabolichnoho syndromu ta provedenoho likuvannya. Svit medytsyny ta biolohiyi. 2009;4:98-104. [in Ukrainian].
- Kaydashev VP. Evolyutsiya ponyattya «metabolichnyy syndrom» i yoho suchasne znachennya. Ukrayinsʹkiy medychnyy chasopys. 2011. [Internet]. Dostupno: www.umj.com.ua [in Ukrainian].
- DeFronzo RA. Insulin resistance, lipotoxicity, type 2 diabetes and atherosclerosis: the missing links. The Claude Bernard Lecture 2009. Diabetologia. 2009;53(7):1270-87.
- Shevchenko YuS, Mamontova TV, Baranova AF, Vesnina LE, Kaydashev IP. Vliyaniye izmeneniya obraza zhizni molodykh lyudey s izbytochnoy massoy tela na uroven’ kontroliruyushchikh pishchevoye povedeniye neyropeptidov, insulinorezistentnost’ i uroven’ khronicheskogo sistemnogo vospaleniya. Georgian Medical News. 2015;11(248):50-7. [in Russian].
- Korneyeva ON. Regulyatsiya chuvstvitel’nosti k insulinu. Rossiyskiye Meditsinskiye Vesti. 2007;12(2):6-43. [in Russian].
- Guidelines on diabetes, pre-diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases: executive summary. The Task Force on diabetes and cardio-vascular diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD). Eur. Heart J. 2007;28:88-136.
- Talayeva TV. Insulinorezistentnost’: patogeneticheskaya znachimost’ i vozmozhnosti farmakologicheskoy korrektsii. Ukraíns’kiy kardíologích ̈ - niy zhurnal. 2009;1:64-82. [in Russian].
- Pyatnitsa-Gorpinchenko N. Vedeniye patsiyentov s sakharnym diabetom v ambulatornoy praktike. Zdorov’ya Ukraíni. 2013;3(304):1-3. [in ̈ Russian].
- Kaydashev IP. NF-kB-signalizatsiya kak osnova razvitiya sistemnogo vospaleniya, insulinorezistentnosti, lipotoksichnosti, sakharnogo diabeta 2-go tipa i ateroskleroza. Mezhdunarodnyy endokrinologicheskiy zhurnal. 2011;3:35-45. [in Russian].
- Trybrat TA, Shutʹ SV, Sakevych VD. Metabolichnyy syndrom v praktyke simeynoho likarya. Visnyk problem biolohiyi y medycini. 2015;2,4(121):36- 8. [in Ukrainian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 2 Part 2 (151), 2019 year, 53-57 pages, index UDK 616—008.9:613.71/9