INDIVIDUAL ANATOMICAL VARIABILITY OF THE LATERAL VENTRICLES OF ADULT PEOPLE
About the author:
Vovk O. Yu., Boguslavsky Y. V.
Type of article:
For practical purposes during surgical procedures on the lateral ventricle in adult humans, we made morphometry of these structures, taking into account existing ventricular variation range for men and women at the terminal forms of the head. The dimensions of the anterior horn of the lateral ventricles have a certain range of variation in length and width. In adult men length of the object is in the range 2.65-3.12 cm, for women – 2.62-2.92 cm Width initial and final sections varies from 0.5 to 0.85 cm (male) and from 0.5 to 0.8 cm (female). The length of the anterior horn varies depending on the individual differences of the head: at dolichomorph male is the highest, reaching 2.8-3.12 cm, female – 2.8-2.92 cm; average typical for mesomorph 2,71-2,95 and 2,71-2,81 cm; with a tendency to reduce at brachymorph people: 2.65-2.8 cm (male) and 2.62-2.75 cm (female). Conversely, the width of the anterior horn gradually increases from dolichomorph to brachymorph to both genders, reaching 0.65-0.85 cm. In accordance with this change in the shape of the anterior horn of the lateral ventricles, a more refined and narrowed typical for people with dolichomorph head type. More thickened and expanded form of the horns is found in people with type brachycephalic head. Affected individual differences in size, shape and position of the posterior horns of the lateral ventricles. Thus, their length can reach 3.5-4.2 cm in males and 2,9-4,1 cm in adult women. Depending on the type of the terminal head structure in this parameter dolichomorph male ranges from 3.9 to 4.2 cm in women – 3.8 to 4.1 cm. Accordingly, the range of longitudinal mesomorph parameter of posterior horn of the lateral ventricles ranges from 3.3 to 4.0 cm (male) and from 3.1 to 3.8 cm (female). In brachycephalic observed its reduction to 3.0-3.8 cm (male) and up to 2.9-3.7 cm (female). The width of the initial division of the horns has virtually no significant range of individual differences, but there is a gradual increase of dolichomorph (0.8-0.9 cm) to brachycephalic (1,0-1,25 cm). Similar features are also characteristic of the width of their final card: at dolichomorph (0.9-1.0 cm) and brachycephalic (1.1-1.25 cm). Virtually no gender differences transverse dimension of the posterior horns of the lateral ventricles. However, we must remember that people with brachymorph physique marked shortening of the posterior horns by increasing the transverse dimensions of the head, the skull and the brain. In our study, new data on the morphometry of the central part (body) of the lateral ventricles. The length of this section at adult men of is in the range 3.8-4.3 cm in women – 3.7-4.1 cm. Moreover, under dolichomorph marked maximum values of the central part of the length that reach in male 4,0- 4.3 cm, in female – 3.9-4.1 cm. In mesomorph this parameter ranges from 3.9 to 4.2 cm, regardless of gender. In brachymorph their length on the left and right does not exceed 3.8-4.0 cm (male) and 3.7-3.9 cm (female). The width of the central part of the lateral ventricles varies from 0.7 to 1.3 cm all over with little tendency to increase in the middle and rear parts of the ventricular body, while there is a slight enlargement of the lateral ventricles of the representatives from the brachymorph head shape (to 1.1 -1.3 cm for male and female). In parallel, the measured and lower horns of the lateral ventricles in adult people. Thus, their length ranges from 4.4 to 5.3 cm in men and 4.3 to 5.2 cm in women. Depending on the type of outer structure of the head set: at dolichomorph this parameter reaches 4.9-5.3 cm (male) and 4.9-5.2 cm (female); at mesomorph respectively 4.6-5.0 cm and 4.6-4.9 cm; in brachymorph reduced to 4.4 - 4.7 cm (male) and 4.3-4.8 cm (female). The width of the lower horns of the lateral ventricles of the adult humans has a small range of variation, ranging from 0.6 to 1.4 cm. Their minimum values typical for representatives of dolichomorph build, and the maximum – for brachymorph.
lateral ventricles, individual anatomical variability, cerebrospinal fluid system of the brain
- 1. Барон М.А. Функциональная стереоморфология мозговых оболочек / М.А. Барон, Н.А. Майорова. — М.: Медицина, 1982. – 350 с.
- 2. Борисов А.В. Анатомическое обоснование резорбции ликвора структурами микроциркулярного русла твердой оболочки спинного мозга / А.В. Борисов, В.И. Решетилов // Архив АГЭ, 1983, Т. 77, в. 11. – С. 26-32.
- 3. Макаров А.Ю. Клиническая ликворология : монография / А.Ю. Макаров. – Л.: Медицина, Ленингр. отделение, 1984. – 216 с.
- 4. Фридман А.П. Основы ликворологии / А.П. Фридман. — Монография. – 5-е изд., переработанное и дополненное. – Л.: Медицина, 1971. – 648 с.
5. Celik H.H. CT measurement of the normal brainventricular system in 100 adults / H.H. Celik, F. Gürbüz, M. Erilmaz, B. Sancak // Kaibogaku Zasshi. — 1995. — Apr; 70 (2). Р. 107-115.
6. Hartkens T. Measurement and analysis of brain deformation during neurosurgery / T. Hartkens, D.L. Hill, A.D. Castellano-Smith, D.J. Hawkes, C.R. Jr Maurer, A.J. Martin, W.A. Hall, H. Liu, C.L. Truwit // IEEE Trans Med Imaging. — 2003. — Jan; 22 (1). — Р. 82-92.
7. Trimarchi F. MRI 3D lateral cerebral ventricles in living humans: morphological and morphometrical age-, gender-related preliminary study / F. Trimarchi, P. Bramanti, S. Marino, D. Milardi, D. Di Mauro, G. Ielitro, B. Valenti, G. Vaccarino, C. Milazzo, G. Cutroneo // Anat Sci Int. — 2013. — Mar; 88 (2). — Р. 61-69.
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 2 part 1 (128), 2016 year, 372-375 pages, index UDK 611.813.8.068