RECURRENT RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS AND MACROBIOELEMENT BALANCE IN CHILDREN AGED ONE TO SIX YEARS
About the author:
Voloshin O. M., Marushko Yu. V., Gnylytska I. P., Masnеva L. P.
Type of article:
Research objectives. The research envisaged finding out dependence of recurrent respiratory infections frequency on particular indicators of macrobioelements balance (calcium, potassium, sulfur, chlorine, magnesium) and manifestation degree of undifferentiated connective tissue dysplasia in preschool children. Object and methods. Twenty-eight children (thirteen boys and fifteen girls) aged one to six years, undergoing inpatient treatment for acute respiratory infection, were involved in the clinical study. The infection index, which is the ratio of acute respiratory infections in the preceding year to the child’s age in months, was calculated for each child. The resistance index as the ratio of the cases of acute respiratory infections per month in the preceding year was computed as well. In addition, the following anthropometric ratios as Verveck index, the length of hand, foot and arm span (separately) to body length, and biparietal head size to its occipital-frontal measure were calculated. Subsequently the above mentioned anthropometric ratios underwent minimax Z-standardization. Further on the integrated indicator of dolichostenomelia was obtained for each child by summing up the standardized anthropometric ratios. Besides, the quantifying of calcium, potassium, sulfur and chlorine in the children’s hair with the use of X-ray fluorescence analysis was carried out. The concentration of serum magnesium was determined by standard biochemical testing. The statistical processing of the obtained primary digital material was performed using IBM SPSS Statistics 25 licensed program. For the purpose only nonparametric statistics methods were applied. Findings. The concentration of calcium (82,1%) and sulphur (75,0%) showed below-normal values in the hair of the majority of patients. At the same time, potassium concentration in hair was far more frequent (71,4%) above its normal value. In most cases, the concentration of chlorine in hair (67,9%) was found within its reference values. The physiological values of serum magnesium concentration (78,6%) also prevailed among the children in the study group. Furthermore, the existence of firm direct correlation dependence between the following macrobioelements was found out: calcium and sulphur (τb =0,354; р=0,008), sulphur and potassium (τb =0,270; р=0,044); potassium and chlorine (τb =0,376; р=0,005). The fact that the decrease in serum magnesium concentration comes with increased dolichostenomelia as one of the typical manifestations of connective tissue dysplasia was confirmed. Quite close inverse interdependence between infectious index and patient’s age was revealed (τb =-0,605; р=0,001). However, no statistically relevant association between the researched integral rates of acute respiratory infections in the children and the number of the researched macrobioelements was detected. It is highly likely that it is the metabolism of microbioelements rather than macrobioelements that is significantly correlated with the resistance indicators of the children to cold-related diseases. The clarification of this very issue is one of the lines of our further research work. Conclusions. Thus, the conducted research has revealed inadequate content of particular macrobioelements (calcium, potassium, sulfur, chlorine) in the hair of the children aged one to six years. Pairwise positive interrelation between individual macrobioelements has been determined. Concurrently, no actual statistically significant correlation between the researched macrobioelements and the incidence of acute respiratory infections has been found. The results obtained should be regarded as an interim stage for determination of the most important factors which cause recurrent respiratory infections in children of preschool age.
children, macrobioelements, respiratory infections, connective tissue dysplasia
- Borisova TP, Badogina LP, Fed’ko TV. Rekurrentnye respiratornye infektsii v pediatricheskoy praktike: effektivnost’ primeneniya inozina pranobeksa. Zdorov’ye rebenka. 2018;13(7):674-80. DOI: 10.22141/2224-05188.8.131.528.148921 [in Russian].
- Baranaeva EA. Ostrye respiratornye virusnye infektsii u detey: klinicheskie osobennosti, sovremennye vozmozhnosti profilaktiki i lecheniya. Mezhdunarodnye obzory: klinicheskaya praktika i zdorov’ye. 2016;2:6-15. [in Russian].
- Voloshin OM, Chumak OYu. Nediferentsіyovana displazіya spoluchnoу tkanini y respіratornі zakhvoryuvannya v dіtey ta pіdlіtkіv (oglyad lіteraturi). Zdorov’ye rebenka. 2017;12(6):720-7. DOI: 10.22141/2224-05184.108.40.2067.112842 [in Ukrainian].
- Abbakumova LN, Arsent’yev VG, Gnusaev SF, Ivanova II, Kadurina TI, Trisvetova EL, i dr. Nasledstvennye i mnogofaktornye narusheniya soedinitel’noy tkani u detey. Algoritmy diagnostiki. Taktika vedeniya. Rossiyskie rekomendatsii. Pediatr. 2016;7(2):5-39. DOI: 10.17816/ PED725-39 [in Russian].
- Murphy-Ryan M, Psychogios A, Lindor N. Hereditary disorders of connective tissue: A guide to the emerging differential diagnosis. Genetics in Medicine. 2010;12:344-54. DOI: 10.1097/GIM.0b013e3181e074f0
- Bascom R, Schubart JR, Mills S, Smith T, Zukley LM, Francomano CA, et al. Heritable disorders of connective tissue: Description of a data repository and initial cohort characterization. American Journal of Medical Genetics. Part A. 2019;179A:552-60. DOI: 10.1002/ajmg.a.61054
- Rychkova TI. Fiziologicheskaya rol’ magniya i znachenie ego defitsita pri displazii soedinitel’noy tkani u detey. Pediatriya. 2011;90(2):114-20. [in Russian].
- Ivanova II, Gnusaev SF, Koval’ NYu, Gerasimov NA, Soldatova IA. Metabolicheskie aspekty nedifferentsirovannoy displazii soedinitel’noy tkani u detey. Rossiyskiy vestnik perinatologii i pediatrii. 2012;4(1):103-11. [in Russian].
- Stoieva TV, Prokhorova SV, Kopiika HK, Hodlevska TL, Burmus IV. Proiavy ta pryntsypy terapii kardio-vaskuliarnoi patolohii u ditei z dysplaziieiu spoluchnoi tkanyny. Aktualni problemy suchasnoi medytsyny. 2015;15(2):242-8. [in Ukrainian].
- Marushko YuV, Polkovnichenko LN, Tarinskaya OL. Kal’tsiy i ego znachenie dlya detskogo organizma (obzor literatury). Sovremennaya pediatriya. 2014;5:46-52. DOI: 10.15574/SP.2014.61.46 [in Russian].
- Akhmedli KN. Osobennosti defitsita makro- i mikroelementov pri displazii soedinitel’noy tkani. Sovremennaya pediatriya. 2017;4:117-9. DOI: 10.15574/SP.2017.84.117 [in Russian].
- Tvorogova TM, Vorob’yeva AS. Nedifferentsirovannaya displaziya soedinitel’noy tkani s pozitsii dizelementoza u detey i podrostkov. Rossiyskiy meditsinskiy zhurnal. Pediatriya. 2012;24:1215-21. [in Russian].
- Pochynok TV, Veselova TV. Elektrolitnyi balans u ditei pubertatnoho viku z proiavamy dysplazii spoluchnoi tkanyny. Mezhdunarodnyy zhurnal pediatrii, akusherstva i ginekologii. 2014;5(2):29-38. [in Ukrainian].
- Nechaeva GI, Drokina OV, Druk IV, Vershinina MV, Lyalyukova EA, Kolmenkova IV. Osnovnye napravleniya v lechenii patsientov s displaziey soedinitel’noy tkani. Lechashchiy vrach. 2014;8:70-5. [in Russian].
- Soroko SI, Maksimova IA, Protasova OV. Vozrastnye i polovye osobennosti soderzhaniya makro- i mikroelementov v organizme detey na Evropeyskom Severe. Fiziologiya cheloveka. 2014;40(6):23-33. DOI: 10.7868/S0131164614060137 [in Russian].
- Lugovaya EA, Stepanova EM. Referensnye znacheniya khimicheskikh elementov v volosakh u detey i podrostkov g. Magadana. Pediatriya. 2016;95(2):178-84. [in Russian].
- Vichugova A. Normal’no delay – normal’no budet: normalizatsiya na praktike – metody i sredstva Data Preparation. [Internet]. 2019 May [tsitirovano 2019 Sent 11]. Dostupno: https://www.bigdataschool.ru/bigdata/ [in Russian].
- Otnositel’nye pokazateli variatsii. [Internet]. 2015 Sent [tsitirovano 2019 Sent 29]. Dostupno: https://studopedia.info/7-86672.html [in Russian].
- Shishlyannikova LM. Primenenie korrelyatsionnogo analiza v psikhologii. Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie. 2009;14(1):98-107. [in Russian].
- Laboratornaya sluzhba Kheliks. Magniy v syvorotke. [Internet]. [tsitirovano 2019 Avg 25]. Dostupno: https://helix.ru/kb/item/06-031 [in Russian].
- Dotsenko NYa, Gerasimenko LV, Boev SS, Shekhunova IA, Dedova VO. Proyavleniya neklassifitsirovannoy displazii soedinitel’noy tkani v zavisimosti ot vozrasta: prognoz. Ukraуns’kiy revmatologіchniy zhurnal. 2012;1:19-23. [in Russian].
- DiNicolantonio JJ, O’Keefe JH, Wilson W. Subclinical magnesium deficiency: a principal driver of cardiovascular disease and a public health crisis. Open Heart. 2018;5:e000668. DOI: 10.1136/openhrt-2017-000668
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 1 (155), 2020 year, 329-333 pages, index UDK 616-022.7-036.87-053.3