EFFECTS OF 14 DAYS MELATONIN INTRODUCTION ON THE HYDROGEN SULFIDE PRODUCTION IN THE LIVER OF ALLOXAN-INDUCED DIABETES MELLITUS
About the author:
Gerush I. V., Luhinich N. M.
CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE
Type of article:
Recently, with the perception of hydrogen sulfide as a gasotransmitter, it came to the understanding that endogenous H2 S is an important component of many biochemical processes in organism. Diabetes mellitus (DM) is a disease that is expanding globally and is considered an epidemic. DM has many complications, including pathological changes in the liver, associated with oxidative stress. However, the role of hydrogen sulfide in diabetes mellitus is insufficiently studied. Melatonin is a potent, naturally occurring antioxidant and a signaling molecule based on its primary and secondarily-evolved functions in organisms. Thus, this study has the following purpose: to examine the role of melatonin introduction on the hydrogen sulfide production in the liver of alloxan induced diabetic rats. Experiments were conducted on white outbred sexually mature male rats with the body weight – 0,15-0,18 kg. Diabetes was induced by a single intraperitoneal injection of freshly prepared alloxan monohydrate (150 mg/kg body weight). The rats were divided into the following groups: controls rats; diabetes; diabetes + melatonin (animals with diabetes were introduced the melatonin (Merck, Germany) intragastrically in the dose of 10 mg/kg at 8 a.m. daily during 14 days). In the liver was determined content of H2 S concentration, H2 S production and activities of CSE, CBS and CAT. It was found that alloxan diabetes was observed an decrease H2 S concentration and an increase H2 S production in the liver compared to control group. The activities of CSE, CBS and CAT in alloxan diabetic rats was higher compared to controls rats. Introduction of the melatonin increased H2 S concentration and decreased content of H2 S production compared to diabetic group. There was also a decrease the activities of CSE, CBS and CAT in the liver compared to the alloxan diabetic rats. We have also found the positive correlations between investigated parameters, which indicate connection between concentration and production of H2 S and the enzyme activities of its synthesis, and the relationship between these enzymes. The administration of melatonin normalizes concentration of H2 S and CSE activity in the liver of alloxan diabetic rats, which contributes to lowering glucose levels in the blood, but the reduction of H2 S production, CBS and CAT activities did not have level of control group. The positive effect of melatonin may be due to increased antioxidant protection of organism. Further research will be study the mechanisms of melatonin effects on the exchange indicators of hydrogen sulfide at alloxane-induced diabetes.
diabetes mellitus, rats, melatonin, liver, hydrogen sulfide.
- Kashfi K, Olson KR. Biology and therapeutic potential of hydrogen sulfide and hydrogen sulfide-releasing chimeras. Biochem Pharmacol. 2013;85(5):689-703. DOI: 10.1016/j.bcp.2012.10.019
- Pouokam E, Althaus M. Epithelial electrolyte transport physiology and the gasotransmitter hydrogen sulfide. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2016; Article ID 4723416:13. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/4723416
- Cheung SH, Lau JYW. Hydrogen sulfide mediates athero-protection against oxidative stress via S-sulfhydration. PLoS ONE. 2018;13(3):e0194176. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal. pone.0194176
- Kang J, Neill DL, Xian M. Phosphonothioate-based hydrogen sulfide releasing reagents: chemistry and biological applications. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2017;8:Article 457. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2017.00457
- Perridon BW, Leuvenink H, Hillebrands JL, Goor H, Bos EM. The role of hydrogen sulfide in aging and age‐related pathologies Aging. 2016;8(10):2264-89.
- Mohamed J, Nazratun Nafizah, Zariyantey AH, Budin AH. Mechanisms of diabetes-induced liver damage the role of oxidative stress and inflammation. Sult. Qaboos Univ. Med. J. 2016;16(2):132-41.
- Kamath A, Rather ZA. Melatonin for atypical antipsychotic-induced metabolic adverse effects: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BioMed Research International. 2018; Article ID 4907264:8. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/4907264
- Song J, Whitcomb DJ, Kim BC. The role of melatonin in the onset and progression of type 3 diabetes. Molecular Brain. 2017;10:35. DOI: 10.1186/s13041-017-0315-x
- Akinola O, Gabriel M, Suleiman AA, Olorunsogbon F. Treatment of alloxan-induced diabetic rats with metformin or glitazones is associated with amelioration of hyperglycaemia and neuroprotection. The Open Diabetes Journal. 2012;5:8-12.
- Stipanuk MH, Beck PW. Characterization of the enzymic capacity for cysteine desulphhydration in liver and kidney of the rat. Biochem J. 1982;206:267-77.
- Yang G, Yang W, Wu L, Wang R. H2S, Endoplasmic reticulum stress, and apoptosis of insulin-secreting beta cells. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:16567- 76.
- Gao C, Chang P, Yang L, Wang YI, Zhu S, Shan H, et al. Neuroprotective effects of hydrogen sulfide on sodium azide-induced oxidative stress in PC12 cells international. Journal of molecular medicine. 2018;41:242-50.
- Sun A, Wang Y, Liu J, Yu X, Sun Y, Yang F, et al. Exogenous H2S modulates mitochondrial fusion–fission to inhibit vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation in a hyperglycemic state. Cell & Bioscience. 2016;6(36):18. DOI: 10.1186/s13578-016-0102-x
- Li T, Ni L, Zhao Z, Liu X, Lai Z, Di X, et al. Melatonin attenuates smoking-induced hyperglycemia via preserving insulin secretion and hepatic glycogen synthesis in rats. J Pineal Res. 2018;64:e12475:13. DOI: org/10.1111/jpi.12475
- Tan DX, Zheng X, Kong J, Manchester LC, Hardeland R, Kim SJ, et al. Fundamental issues related to the origin of melatonin and melatonin isomers during evolution: relation to their biological functions. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:2124. DOI: 10.3390/ijms17122124
- Ju Y, Untereiner A, Wu L, Yang G. H2S-induced S-sulfhydration of pyruvate carboxylase contributes to gluconeogenesis in liver cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015 Nov;1850(11):2293-303.
- Luhinich N, Herush I, Yaremii I, Davydova N. Vplyv 14 dobovoho vvedennia melatoninu na metabolizm hlutationu v pechintsi shchuriv pry aloksanovomu tsukrovomu diabeti. Naukovi zapysky Ternopilskoho natsionalnoho pedahohichnoho universytetu imeni Volodymyra Hnatiuka. Seriia: Biolohiia. 2018;3-4(74):71-5. [in Ukrainian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 1 Part 2 (149), 2019 year, 126-129 pages, index UDK 577.112.386:612.826.33.015.22