SHORT- AND LONG-TERM EFFECTS OF DECAMETHOXIN (DECASAN®) ANTISEPTIC ON STRUCTURAL COMPONENTS OF THE KNEE JOINT UNDER CONDITIONS OF INTRA-ARTICULAR ADMINISTRATION (EXPERIMENTAL STUDY)
About the author:
Degtyar V. A., Degtyar A. V., Dedukh N. V., Nikolchenko O. A.
Type of article:
The problem of infectious complications in traumatology and orthopedics is still relevant, despite the widespread use of various schemes of antibiotic therapy. In the presence of a periprosthetic infection or arthroscopic intervention, local action antiseptics are important. However, the majority of antiseptics, exerting a bactericidal effect, affect the vital activity of the cells of the surrounding tissues. The purpose of the study was to determine the effect of local antiseptics of decamethoxin (Decasan® ) on the condition of the knee joint in rats. Object and methods. Two series of experiments were carried out on 20 white laboratory rats: animals were injected into the knee joint with 0.1 ml of physiological saline (control) or 0.1 ml of decasan (0.1 ml of Decasan® solution contains 0.02 mg of decamethoxin) (experience). Animals were killed by overdose of the ether after 1 hour and 7 days after daily administration of the decasan or physiological solution (5 times). The knee joints were examined histologically. The objects of the microscopic examination were articular cartilage on the femoral and tibia, meniscus and capsule of the knee joint. Results. The structure of the joint components did not differ on the terms 1 and 7 days after the injection of Decasan®. Congruence of articular surfaces is not disturbed. The surface of the articular cartilage is smooth, the zonal organization is preserved, that is, chondrocytes with characteristic phenotypic features form three zones of uncalcified cartilage. In the surface zone, cells have an elongated shape, located in 1-2 balls. Chondrocytes in the intermediate zone have rounded nuclei, located in capsules. clusters of cells or chondrons are absent. In the deep zone, chondrocytes form columns of 2-3 cells. The matrix was uniformly colored, fibrillation areas were not detected. In calcified cartilage hypertrophied chondrocytes are located in expanded capsules, and there are empty capsules that are characteristic of this zone of articular cartilage. According to the ORSI classification, a similar pattern of articular cartilage is characteristic of the 0 stage, that is, the norm, arthrosis manifestations at the late stage of the study have not been noted. Destructive changes in the cells and matrix in the meniscus and joint capsules were not detected. However, in the case of repeated administration of the physiological solution into the joint cavity, changes are noted in both the articular cartilage and in the synovial membrane. In the articular cartilage in the surface layer, along with chondrocytes with picnotic nuclei, hypertrophied chondrocytes were found due to edema. In the synovial membrane increased density of fibroblasts, significant areas occupy cells of the mononuclear series. That is, there is a chronic inflammatory process. Conclusion. It has been revealed that Decasan® does not violate the organization of the components of the knee joint – articular cartilage, menisci and capsule. Under the conditions of long-term action – 7 days, destructive and inflammatory changes in the knee joint were not detected. The investigated drug has an advantage over other antiseptic drugs of local action and can be used in the conditions of surgical treatment of joints.
rats, knee joint, decamethoxin, histology
- Loskutov АYe, redaktor. Endoprotezirovaniye tazobedrennogo i sustavov. Donetsk: Lira; 2010. 344 s. [in Russian].
- Tikhilov RM, Shapovalov VM, redaktory. Rukovodstvo po endoprotezirovaniyu tazobedrennogo sustava. Sankt-Peterburg: RNIITO im. V.V. Vredena; 2008. 324 s. [in Russian].
- Vorontsova TN. Sotsialno-biologicheskaya i kliniko-diagnosticheskaya harakteristika patsientov, perenesshih revizionnoe endoprotezirovanie tazobedrennogo sustava (po materialam Federalnogo registra endoprotezirovaniya krupnyih sustavov konechnostey). In: Endoprotezirovanie v Rossii. Kazan – Sankt-Peterburg. 2005;1:253-8. [in Russian].
- Flugsrud GB, Nordsletten L, Espehaug B, Havelin LI, Meyer HE. Risk factors for total hip replacement due to primary osteoarthritis: a cohort study in 50,034 persons. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46(3):675-82.
- Danish Hip Arthroplasty Register. Annual Report 2004. Available from: http://danskhoftealloplastikregister.dk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ DHR-rapport-2004.pdf
- Della Valle CJ, Paprosky WG. The femur in revision total hip arthroplasty evaluation and classification. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004 Mar;420:55-62.
- National Joint Registry for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. 10th Annual Report 2013. Available from: http://www.njrcentre.org.uk/ njrcentre/Portals/0/Documents/England/Reports/10th_annual_report/NJR%2010th%20Annual%20Report%202013%20B.pdf
- Swedish Hip Arthroplasty Register. Annual Report 2010. Available from: https://registercentrum.blob.core.windows.net/shpr/r/Annual-report2010-Hy_wFIaox.pdf
- Fevang BT, Lie SA, Havelin LI, Engesaeter LB, Furnes O. Improved results of primary total hip replacement. Acta Orthop. 2010 Dec;81(6):649-59.
- Iorio R, Robb WJ, Healy WL, Berry DJ, Hozack WJ, Kyle RF, et al. Orthopaedic surgeon workforce and volume assessment for total hip and knee replacement in the United States: preparing for an epidemic. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Jul;90(7):1598-605.
- National Joint Registry for England, Wales and Northern Ireland. 8th Annual Report 2011. Available from: http://www.njrcentre.org.uk/njrcentre/ Portals/0/Documents/NJR%208th%20Annual%20Report%202011.pdf
- Vyrva OYe, Burlaka VV, Malyk RV. Infektsionnyye oslozhneniya pervichnogo totalnogo endoprotezirovaniya tazobedrennogo i kolennogo sustavov. Ortopediya, travmatologiya i protezirovaniye. 2011;3:60-7. [in Russian].
- Eryukhin IA, Shlyapnikov SA. Tyazhelaya abdominalnaya infektsiya. Problema peritonita i abdominalnyiy sepsis. Consilium medicum. 2005;7(6):468-72. [in Russian].
- Mangram AJ, Horan TC, Pearson ML, Silver LC, Jarvis WR. Guideline for prevention of surgical site infection, 1999. Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999 Apr;20(4):250-78.
- Ahtyamov IF, Rimashevskiy DV, Kurmangaliev YeD, Moldakulov ZhM, Yeremin IK. Profilaktika infektsionnyih oslozhneniy endoprotezirovaniya kolennogo sustava. Meditsinskaya praktika. 2014;04(2). Dostupno: http://mfvt.ru/profilaktika-infekcionnyx-oslozhnenij-endoprotezirovaniyakolennogo-sustava/ [in Russian].
- Koburger T, Hübner NO, Braun M, Siebert J, Kramer A. Standardized comparison of antiseptic efficacy of triclosan, PVP-iodine, octenidine dihydrochloride, polyhexanide and chlorhexidine digluconate. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010 Aug;65(8):1712-9.
- Verkhovna Rada Ukrainy. Nakaz Ministerstva osvity i nauky, molodi ta sportu Ukrainy № 249 vid 01.03.2012 «Pro zatverdzhennia Poriadku provedennia naukovymy ustanovamy doslidiv, eksperymentiv na tvarynakh». Kyiv: Ofitsiinyi visnyk Ukrainy. 2019;24:82 [tsytovano 2019 Berez 23]. Dostupno: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/z0416-12 [in Ukrainian].
- Verkhovna Rada Ukrainy. Zakon Ukrainy № 3447-IV vid 21.02.2006 «Pro zakhyst tvaryn vid zhorstokoho povodzhennia». Kyiv: Vidomosti Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy; 2006 [onovleno 2017 Serp 04; tsytovano 2019 Berez 23]. Dostupno: http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/3447-15 [in Ukrainian].
- Verkhovna Rada Ukrayiny. Yevropeyska konventsiya pro zakhyst khrebetnykh tvaryn, shcho vykorystovuyutsya dlya doslidnykh ta inshykh naukovykh tsiley. Strasburh, 18 bereznia 1986 roku: ofitsiinyi pereklad. Kyiv: Parlamentske vydavnytstvo; 2000. Dostupno: http://zakon2.rada. gov.ua/laws/show/994_137 [in Ukrainian].
- Sarkisov DS, Perov YuL, redaktory. Mikroskopicheskaya tekhnika: Rukovodstvo. Moskva: Meditsina; 1996. 542 s. [in Russian].
- Pritzker KP, Gay S, Jimenez SA, Ostergaard K, Pelletier JP, Revell PA, et al. Histopathology: grading and staging. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2006 Jan;14(1):13-29.
- Fomin PD, Lissov AI, Kozlov SN, Mikhalchishin SN. Primenenie antiseptika Dekasana v neotlozhnoy abdominalnoy hirurgii. Klinichna hirurgiya. 2009;11-12(800-801):98-100. [in Russian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 1 Part 2 (149), 2019 year, 286-290 pages, index UDK 616-092.9-036.5 : 616.728.3-018