THE INFLUENCE OF THE HEAVY METALS SALTS ON THE GAG LAYER OF THE URINARY BLADDER OF THE RATS
About the author:
Sikora V., Lyndin M., Moskalenko R., Romaniuk A.
Type of article:
The study of the connection between the environmental pollution with the heavy metal salts (HMS) and the development of the various pathologies in the body is one of the important problems of our time. It has been proved that the urinary bladder (UB) is among those organs that are affected by the various exogenous factors, which damage its protective barriers, such as the glycosaminoglycan (GAG) layer that protects the urothelial cells from the aggressive urine components. The nature of the pathologies in the organ varies considerably, depending on the causes of the damage of the layer integrity. Thus, the object of the research is to study the features of the changes in the GAG layer of the UB urothelium of the rats under the simulated effect of the heavy metals salts on the body and correction of their influence with vitamin E. The experimental study was carried out on the UB of the albino male rats that were given the HMS mixture (II group) and HMS with vitamin E (III group) during 30 and 90 days. Histological samples were stained with the alcian blue. The results of our study demonstrate that deep damages and gaps in the GAG layer that broke its tightness appeared in the 2nd and 3rd series on the 30th day of the experiment. However, when the experiment was extended up to 90 days, the depth and the intensity of these abnormalities decreased due to the thickening of the GAG layer. It should be mentioned that the damages of the GAG layer in the UB of the III group were less expressed and had the signs of the rapid restoration of its integrity compared to the group without corrector. The intake of HMS damages the integrity of the GAG layer. However, the additional application of vitamin E helps to reduce the harmful effect of the pollutants and improves the tightness of the protective layer. The consequences of these changes depend on the duration of the experiment and have the signs of the compensatory restoration of the GAG layer in the period of the research extension.
glycosaminoglycans, urinary bladder, heavy metals
- Romaniuk AM, Sikora VV, Lyndina YuM, Lyndin MS. Poshyrenist vazhkykh metaliv u navkolyshnomu seredovyshchi ta yikh rol u zhyttiediialnosti orhanizmu. Bukovynskyi medychnyi visnyk. 2017;21(82)ch.1:145-50. [in Ukrainian].
- Jan AT, Azam M, Siddiqui K, Ali A, Choi I, Haq QM. Heavy metals and human health: mechanistic insight into toxicity and counter defense system of antioxidants. Int J Mol Sci. 2015 Dec;16(12):29592-630.
- Izah SC, Inyang IR, Angaye TCN, Okowa IP. A Review of Heavy Metal Concentration and Potential Health Implications of Beverages Consumed in Nigeria. Toxics [Internet]. 2017 Mar [cited 2018 Jan 26];5(1):1. Available from: http://www.mdpi.com/2305-6304/5/1/1. DOI: 10.3390/ toxics5010001
- Wan D, Han Z, Yang J, Yang G, Liu X. Heavy Metal Pollution in Settled Dust Associated with Different Urban Functional Areas in a Heavily AirPolluted City in North China. Int J Environ Res Public Health [Internet]. 2016 Nov [cited 2017 Nov 16];13(11):1119. Available from: http:// www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/13/11/1119. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph13111119
- Romaniuk A, Sikora V, Lyndin M, Smiyanov V, Sikora V, Lyndina Yu, et al. The features of morphological changes in the urinary bladder under combined effect of heavy metal salts. Interv Med Appl Sci. 2017;9(2):105-11.
- Mao S, Huang S. Zinc and copper levels in bladder cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2013 Jun;153(1-3):5-10.
- Lazzeri M, Van Kerrebroeck P. New evidence for exogenous glycosaminoglycans treatment of ‘cystitis’: Is the future now? EMJ. 2016;1:70-5.
- Sobolev VE, Jenkins RO, Goncharov NV. Sulfated glycosaminoglycans in bladder tissue and urine of rats after acute exposure to paraoxon and cyclophosphamide. Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2017 Jul 5;69(6):339-47.
- Cervigni M. Interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome and glycosaminoglycans replacement therapy. Transl Androl Urol. 2015 Dec;4(6):638-42.
- Sikora VV. Otsinka morfometrychnoho stanu slyzovoi obolonky sechovoho mikhura ta rivnia ekskretsii mikroelementiv z secheiu za umov vzhyvannia sumishi vazhkykh metaliv. Visnyk morfolohii. 2017;23(2):256-9. [in Ukrainian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 2 (144), 2018 year, 329-331 pages, index UDK 616.62-092.9:616.63:615.356:577.161.3