IMPACT OF ACUTE TOTAL-BODY GAMMA-IRRADIATION ON SPERM PRODUCTION OF LABORATORY RATS
About the author:
Nykolaichuk R. P., Klepko A. V
CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE
Type of article:
Male gonads are among the most sensitive organs to different xenobiotics, especially to ionizing radiation. After two, the biggest in the world, nuclear disasters in Chornobyl (1986) and Fukushima (2011) for the last few years many researches began to study effect of low-dose IR on sperm parameters. Unfortunately, till this time, data are controversy and need deep study of this problem. Aim of this study was to study and to analyse impact of total single exposure to radiation (dose dependent) on parameters of sperm production of rats. Studying of total X-irradiation on laboratory rats of male sex has been performed. Rats were X-irradiated by five doses 0.6; 1.0; 2.0; 3.0 and 5.0 Gy, respectively, with dose rate 106,6 сGy/min. The animals were decapitated 5, 15, 30 and 65 days after total irradiation and sperm production parameters were analyzed. It has been established that sensitivity of testicles and epididymis to irradiation in rats is dose dependent. After irradiation with doses of 0.6-1.0 Gy from the 30 days of experiment was observed increasing of studied indicators that can be explained as hormesis effect. Total single irradiation of rats with doses of 2.0-5.0 Gy caused decreasing of sperm production and a significant decrease of viable spermatozoa.
total irradiation, epididymis, testicles, spermatogenesis, spermatozoa.
- Agarwal A, Mulgund A, Hamada A, Chyatte MR. A unique view on male infertility around the globe. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology: RB&E. 2015;13:37. DOI: 10.1186/s12958-015-0032-1
- Meeker JD, Ehrlich S, Toth TL, Wright DL, Calafat AM, Trisini AT, et al. Semen quality and sperm DNA damage in relation to urinary bisphenol A among men from an infertility clinic. Reprod Toxicol. 2010 Dec;30(4):532-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.reprotox.2010.07.005. Epub 2010 Jul 23.
- Indyk VM, Serkiy YaI, Lepsʹka AI, Droyd IP. Reproduktyvna zdatnistʹ eksperymentalʹnykh tvaryn za umov postiynoho vplyvu radiatsiyi nyzʹkoho rivnya. Chornobylʹ. Zona vidchuzhennya. Zb. nauk. pratsʹ. 2001. s. 500-7. [in Ukrainian].
- Okano T, Ishiniwa H, Onuma M, Shindo J, Yokohata Y, Tamaoki M. Effects of environmental radiation on testes and spermatogenesis in wild large Japanese field mice (Apodemus speciosus) from Fukushima. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23601. Published 2016 Mar 23. DOI: 10.1038/ srep23601
- Okada S, Ono T. Comparison of radio sensitivities of DNA molecules in situ in spermatogоnium, spermatid and spermatozoon-rich populations of mouse testis in situ. Mutatation Research Letter. 1977;46(2):145-54.
- Cai L, Jiang J, Wang B, Yao H, Wang X. Induction of an adaptive response to dominant lethality and to chromosome damage of mouse germ cells by low dose radiation. Mutation Research Letters. 1993;303(4):157-61.
- Amann RP, Johnson L, Thompson DL, Pickett BW. Daily spermatozoal production, epididymal spermatozoal reserves and transit time of spermatozoa through the epididymis of the rhesus monkey. Biology of Reproduction. 1976;15(5):586-92. Available from: https://doi. org/10.1095/biolreprod15.5.586
- Blazak WF, Treinen KA, Juniewicz PE. Application of testicular sperm head counts in the assessment of male reproductive. Methods in Toxicology. 1993;3:86-94.
- Lebovitz RM, Johnson L. Acute, whole-body microwave exposure and testicular function of rats. Bioelectomagnetics. 1987;8:37-43.
- Makinta MJ, Brinders JM, Smith KA. Radiation exposure exerts its adverse effects on sperm maturation through estrogen-induced hypothalamohypophyseal axis inhibition in rats. African Zoology. 2005;40(2):243-51.
- Kesari KK, Agarwal A, Henkel R. Radiations and male fertility. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2018;16(1):118. DOI: 10.1186/s12958-018-0431-1
- Howell SJ, Shalet SM. Spermatogenesis After Cancer Treatment: Damage and Recovery. JNCI Monographs. 2005;34:12-7.
- Kuzin AM. Stimuliruyushcheye deystviye ioniziruyushchego izlucheniya na biologicheskiye protsessy. Moscwa: Atomizdat; 1977. 197 s. [in Russian].
- Pinon-Lataillade G, Viguier-Martines MC, Touzalin AM, Maos J, Jegou B. Effect of an acute exposure of rat testes to gamma rays on germ cells and on Sertoli and Leydig cell functions. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 1991;31(6):617-27.
- Clifton DK, Bremner WJ. The effect of testicular X-irradiation on spermatogenesis in man. A comparison with the mouse. In J Androl. 1983;4(6):387-92.
- Abuelhija M, Weng CC, Shetty G, Meistrich ML. Rat models of post-irradiation recovery of spermatogenesis: interstrain differences. Andrology. 2013;1(2):206-15. DOI: 10.1111/j.2047-2927.2012.00034.x
- Kumar D, Salian SR, Kalthur G, Uppangala S, Kumari S, Challapalli S, et al. Association between sperm DNA integrity and seminal plasma antioxidant levels in health workers occupationally exposed to ionizing radiation. Environ Research. 2014;132:297-304. DOI: 10.1016/j. envres.2014.04.023
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 2 (156), 2020 year, 133-137 pages, index UDK 54-78:[591.463.1:599.323.4]