TREATMENT OF MUSCULAR DYSFUNCTION OF TEMPOROMANDIBULAR JOINT IN PATIENTS WITH ORTHDONTIC PATHOLOGY
About the author:
Dmytrenko M. I., Rybalov O. V., Lunkova J. S.
Type of article:
In modern orthodontics, the main condition to achieve effective and, above all, stable morphological results of treatment is abolishing of etiological factors, restoration of myodynamic balance of maxillofacial area, normalization of breathing, swallowing, chewing, speech, lip-seal functions and elimination of temporomandibular joint disorders. The aim of the study is to optimize treatment of TMJ muscular dysfunction in patients with orthodontic pathology by integration of removable appliances (braces) along with myogymnastics and differential massage of temporal, masticatory muscles and orbicular muscle of mouth. Object and methods. The results of treatment of 16 people aged from 15 to 25 years old were analyzed (women – 12 (75%), men – 4 (25%), who were diagnosed malocclusion with severe dental crowding (DC) (III-IV according to N.G. Snagina), which were combined with TMJ muscular dysfunction. The function of TMJ was studied using static and dynamic clinical studies. Comparative palpation of dorsal muscles, shoulders, atlantooccipital area muscles, m.masseter, m.temporalis, m.pterygoideus medialis, m.mylohyoideus, m.digastricus, infrahyoidale mm., m.sternocleidomastoideus, m.omohyoideus was carried out. Change of lower jaw movement trajectory, anamnestic Helkimo’s index (Ai) and indices of clinical dysfunction (Di) were evaluated. Additional studies included morphometric analysis of control and diagnostic models of jaws, orthopanotomography (OPG), X-ray of temporomandibular joint with closed teeth and open mouth, electromyography (EMG) of temporal, masticatory muscles and orbicular muscle (OM) mouth. Braces were used as removable appliance technic. Differentiated massage and myogymnastics were indicated as proposed complex. Results. There was pronounced asymmetry in the length of rami of lower jaw in the examined patients. Significant asymmetry in the length of rami of mandible, from 3 mm to 9 mm, was observed on OPTG images. In 80% of patients, TMJ dysfunction was observed on the side of long mandibular ramus. Most patients had a harmonious (neutral) type of jaw growth (58.82%). The horizontal type of mandible was marked in 41.18%. Vertical type of jaw growth was not registered in examined patients. Significant morphological changes in the bony elements of temporomandibular joint were not found on temporomandibular radiographs. After administration of the proposed complex of massage and myogymnastics exercises, positive clinical dynamics was observed after only from seven to ten days at 100%, and above all, the results of treatment remained stable after a year of observation. Conclusion. Use of weak, biologically adapted forces in malocclusion treatment and achievement of physiological functions of oral cavity and TMJ guarantee stability of the obtained morphological results. Analysis of the research results allowed to recommend the developed complex of myogymnastics and differentiated massage of temporal, masticatory muscles and orbicular muscle of mouth for clinical application in patients with muscular dysfunction of TMJ.
muscular dysfunction of temporomandibular joint, massage, myogymnastics, orthodontic treatment, malocclusion, dental crowding.
- Drohomyretska MS, Yereska RO, Pavlychko O. Multydystsyplinarnyi pidkhid u neobkhidnosti ortodontychnoi pidhotovky patsiientiv iz anomaliiamy zuboshchelepovoi systemy. Novitni tekhnolohii v ortodontii: zb. nauk. pr. Pershoho ukrainskoho ortodontychnoho konhresa. Kyiv; 2013. s. 72-5. [in Ukrainian].
- Smahliuk LV, Liakhovska AV. Osoblyvosti likuvannia patsiientiv iz zuboshchelepnymy anomaliiamy, uskladnenymy dysfunktsiieiu skronevonyzhnoshchelepnoho suhloba. Ukrainskyi stomatolohichnyi almanakh. 2019;1:25-30. [in Ukrainian].
- Kindler S, Schwahn C, Bernhardt O, Söhnel A, Mksoud M, Biffar R, et al. Association Between Symptoms of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Signs of Temporomandibular Disorders in the General Population. Oral Facial Pain Headache. Winter 2019;33(1):67-76. DOI: 10.11607/ofph.1905. Epub 2018 Aug 28.
- Kuroiedova VD, Reinkhardt R, Dmytrenko MI. Likuvannia patsiientiv iz skupchenistiu frontalnykh zubiv ta dysfunktsiieiu skronevo-nyzhnoshchelepnykh suhlobiv u postiinomu prykusi. Aktualni aspektu ortodontyy y ortohnatycheskoi khyrurhyy: tezysu VI nauchno-praktycheskoi konferentsyy s mezhdu-narodnum uchastyem. Odesa; 2009. s. 8. [in Ukrainian].
- Kuroiedova VD, Makarova OM. Symetrychnist nyzhnoi shchelepy u patsiientiv iz sahitalnoiu asymetriieiu prykusu za danymy ortopantomohrafii. Klinichna stomatolohiia. 2013;3(4):48. [in Ukrainian].
- Dmytrenko MI, Kuroiedowa VD. Electromyographic chcracteristic of orbicularis oris in patients with dental crowding in permanent occlusion Wiadomości Lekarskie. 2016;LXIX,3(II):462-4.
- Dmytrenko MI, Kuroiedova VD, Dvornyk VM. Funktsionalnyi stan skronevykh ta zhuvalnykh miaziv u patsiientiv iz zuboshchelepnymy anomaliiamy, uskladnenymy skupchenistiu frontalnykh zubiv. Likarska sprava. Vrachebnoe delo. 2012;8(1117):84-90. [in Ukrainian].
- Rybalov O, Yatsenko P, Moskalenko P, Yatsenko O. Lakhtin Yn. The Effectiueness of Physical Factors in the treatment of Compression-Dislocation Dysfunction of the Temporomandibular Joint. Georgian Medical News. 2016;2(251):26-31.
- Shulepova OP. Deprohramyrovanye mushts – eto alternatyva khyrurhycheskomu vmeshatelstvu. Dostyzhenyia ortodontyy, ortopedycheskoi stomatolohyy po spetsyalnosty y ee prepodavanyiu: sb. nauch.-prakt. materyalov. Moskva; 2005. s. 289-92. [in Russian].
- Lunkova YuS, Tumakova OB, Novikov VM. Symetrychnist dynamichnykh zmin suhlobovykh dyskiv pry vnutrishnikh rozladakh SNShchS za danymy MRT. Ukrainskyi stomatolohichnyi almanakh. 2017;2:31-5. [in Ukrainian].
- Lunkova YuS, Novikov VM. Analiz zmin yakosti zhyttia v patsiientiv z odnobichnymy pidvyvykhamy SNShchS u protsesi likuvannia. Ukrainskyi stomatolohichnyi almanakh. 2012;3:40-3. [in Ukrainian].
- Kuznetsova TE, Persyn LS, Kuznetsova HV. Otsenka vlyianyia miahkotkannoi manualnoi terapyy na yzmenenye tonusa zhevatelnoi muskulaturu y okkliuzyonnukh kontaktov u patsyentov s dystalnoi okkliuzyei zubnukh riadov y narushenyiamy osanky. Ortodontyia. 2013;3:32-6. [in Russian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 2 Part 1 (150), 2019 year, 304-307 pages, index UDK 616.314-089:616.724-08