IMMUNOHISTOCHEMICAL CHARACTERISTIC OF PROLIFERATIVE AND APOPTOTIC PROCESSES IN PARTICULAR TESTICULAR GERM CELL TUMORS
About the author:
Potapov S. M., Pliten O. M., Halata D. I., Sidorenko R. V., Andreev A. V
Type of article:
To neoplasms which the most often affect young men testicular tumors are referred (up to 60% of all neoplasms). Among them the most common are germ cell tumors (GCT) – more than 90%. The purpose of study was to establish proliferative and apoptotic processes in yolk sac tumor, postpubertal-type (YSTPT), teratoma, postpubertal-type (TPT), spermatocytic tumor (ST) and teratoma with somatic-type malignancy (TSTM) of testis. Object and methods. The study of proliferative and apoptotic processes was performed on the material of observations of YSTPT, TPT, ST and TSTM of testis using markers Ki-67, Bax, Bcl-2 and p53. For evaluation of relative area (S) and intensity (L) of markers expression the patented technique was used. In addition, the proliferation index (PI) was calculated. All values are expressed as means, standard deviation (SD) and standard error of the mean (SEM) for statistical analysis. Statistical comparison was performed using Mann-Whitney test for statistical analysis. Spearman’s rank correlation coefficient (r) was counted for measure of the strength of relationship between paired data. The accepted level of significance was p≤0.05. Results. In YSTPT of group «1» S and L of Кі-67 expression as well as PI were moderate. In group «2» there was an increase (p <0.05) of these parameters. In the observations of combined groups «2» and «4» they were also higher (p<0.05) than those in group «1». In TPT, irrespective of the structure of the tumors of this group, the reaction with Ki-67 was observed as nuclear staining in single tumor cells. Markers Bax, Bcl-2 and p53 did not show significant expression depending on the stage of tumor progression. In ST S of Ki-67 expression was 1.82±0.02%, L was high (36.50±0.05 units), and PI was moderate (27.26±9.96%). The most significant Ki-67-positive reaction was observed in cells with pathological mitoses. S of Bax expression was 3.46±0.30% and L of immunopositive staining was moderate (49.28±0.44 units); the reaction with bcl-2 and p53 in the ST was negative. In TSTM of group «1» (fibrosarcoma) Ki-67-positive staining was observed in single tumor cells and PI was insignificant. S of Ki-67 expression in the observation of group «4» (adenocarcinoma) was 1.75±0.02%, L was high (37.55±0.17 units) and the PI was low (7,18±5.77%). At analysis of S of Bax expression it was found that in group «1» it amounted 2.16±0.31% and its L was moderate (42.46±0.58 units). In group «4» Bax expression was absent. The expression of bcl-2 in the observations of TSTM was observed in single cells and reaction with p53 was negative. Math analysis established a very high correlation (r= +0,98; p<0,05) between PI and S of Ki-67 expression in YSTPT. In other GCT significant correlation between the studied parameters was not established either due to a negative reaction or due to the small number of observations. Conclusion. The investigated GCT were characterized by low proliferative activity which depended on the histological type and stage of tumor progression. The highest proliferative activity was in YSTPT and the lowest in TPT and TSTM. In patients with YSTPT who had metastases PI, S and L of Ki-67 expression were higher than in patients without metastasis. Proliferative activity in TPT was increasing during the transition from the initial to the late stages of tumorous progression and in patients with metastases was higher than in patients without them. Markers Bax, Bcl-2 and p53 were characterized by extremely low levels of expression or negative reaction what makes it inappropriate to use them to improve the assessment of biological aggressiveness in any of investigated GCT.
germ cell tumors, proliferative and apoptotic processes, immunohistochemical investigation.
- Loran OB, Bogdanov AB, Ivkin EV, Sokolov EA, Metelyov AYu. Radikalnyie i organosohranyayuschie operatsii pri zlokachestvennyih novoobrazovaniyah yaichka. Annaly khirurgii. 2014;1:25-30. [in Russian].
- Nosov AK, Mamizhev EM, Vorobev AV, Zhukov OB, Novikov AI, Zassev RD, i dr. Intsidentalomy yaichka i testikulyarnyy mikrolitiaz: sovremennyye podkhody k diagnostike i lecheniyu (obzor literatury, sluchai iz praktiki). Andrologiya i genitalnaya khirurgiya. 2017;1:28-38. [in Russian].
- Nemtsova MV, Ivkin EV, Tryakin AA, Rudenko VV, Dantsev IS, Tyulyandin SA, i dr. Geneticheskiye faktory riska razvitiya sporadicheskikh germinogennykh opukholey yaichka. Urologiya. 2017;1:24-30. [in Russian].
- Mustafa SA, Mitla V, Banday SZ, Kuchay S. Profile of Testicular Germ Cell Tumors in Kashmir: A Retrospective Analysis. International J. of Scientific Study. 2017;5(4):183-6.
- Trabert B, Chen J, Devesa SS, Bray F, McGlynn KA. International patterns and trends in testicular cancer incidence, overall and by histologic subtype, 1973-2007. Andrology. 2015 Jan;3(1):4-12. DOI: 10.1111/andr.293
- Burova EA, Bulanov AA, Tryakin AA, Fedyanin MYu, Tyulyandin SA, Matveev VB. Lechenie seminomy yaichka I stadii. Onkourologiya. 2010;3:7- 11. [in Russian].
- Moch H, Cubilla AL, Humphrey PA, Reuter VE, Ulbright TM. The 2016 WHO Classification of Tumours of the Urinary System and Male Genital Organs-Part A: Renal, Penile, and Testicular Tumours. Eur Urol. 2016 Jul;70(1):93-105. DOI: 10.1016/j.eururo.2016.02.029
- Lobo J, Costa AL, Vilela-Salgueiro B, Rodrigues Â, Guimarães R, Cantante M, et al. Testicular germ cell tumors: revisiting a series in light of the new WHO classification and AJCC staging systems, focusing on challenges for pathologists. Hum Pathol. 2018 Dec;82:113-24. DOI: 10.1016/j. humpath.2018.07.016
- Potapov SM, Markovskiy VD, KulIshova NE, vynakhidnyky; Kharkivskyi natsionalnyi medychnyi universytet, patentovlasnyk. Sposib kilkisnoi otsinky rivnia svitlosti ta vidnosnoi ploshchi ekspresii markeriv pry imunohistokhimichnomu doslidzhenni tkanyn. Patent Ukrainy №119922. 2019 Serp 27. [in Ukrainian].
- Kobzar AI. Prikladnaya matematicheskaya statistika. Dlya inzhenerov i nauchnyih rabotnikov [Internet]. FIZMATLIT. 2012. 816 s. Dostupno: http://www.studentlibrary.ru/book/ISBN9785922113755.html [in Russiаn].
- Runyon RP. Nonparametric Statistics: A Contemporary Approach (Addison-Wesley series in statistics). Addison-Wesley Publishing Co; 1977. 218 p.
- Gershteyn ES, Kushlinskiy NE. Tkanevyye markery kak faktory prognoza pri rake molochnoy zhelezy. Prakticheskaya onkologiya. 2002;3(1):38- 44. [in Russian].
- Kopnin BP. Sovremennyye predstavleniya o mekhanizmakh zlokachestvennogo rosta. Materialy X rossiyskogo onkologicheskogo kongressa. Moskva: 2006. s. 99-102. [in Russian].
- Kirkali Z, Yorukoglu K, Ozkara E, Kazimoglu H, Mungan U. Proliferative activity, angiogenesis and nuclear morphometry in renal cell carcinoma. Int J Urol. 2001 Dec;8(12):697-703.
- Pozharisskiy KM, Leenman EE. Znachenie immunogistohimicheskih metodik dlya opredeleniya haraktera lecheniya i prognoza opuholevyih zabolevaniy. Arkhiv patologii. 2000;5:3-11. [in Russian].
- Samofalova OYu. Immunogistokhimicheskiye markery kak faktor prognoza pri khirurgicheskom lechenii kolorektalnogo raka [dysertatsiia]. Moskva: pervyy moskovskiy gosudarstvennyy meditsinskiy universitet; 2012. 23 s. [in Russiаn].
- Vikhlyayeva EM. Molekulyarno-geneticheskiye determinanty opukholevogo rosta i obosnovaniye sovremennoy strategii vedeniya bolnykh leyomiomoy matki. Voprosy onkologii. 2001;47(2):200-4. [in Russian].
- Paltsev MA. Molekulyarnaya meditsina: dostizheniya i perspektivy. Molekulyarnaya meditsina. 2004;4:3-12. [in Russian].
- Raykhlin NT, Raykhlin AN. Regulyatsiya i proyavleniye apoptoza v fiziologicheskikh usloviyakh i v opukholyakh. Voprosy onkologii. 2002;48:157- 63. [in Russian].
- Lee CT, Genega EM, Hutchinson B, Fearn PA, Kattan MW, Russo P, et al. Conventional (clear cell) renal carcinoma metastases have greater bcl-2 expression than high-risk primary tumors. Urol Oncol. 2003 May-Jun;21(3):179-84.
- Itoi T, Yamana K, Bilim V, Takahashi K, Tomita F. Impact of frequent Bcl-2 expression on better prognosis in renal cell carcinoma patients. Br J Cancer. 2004 Jan 12;90(1):200-5.
- Zolota V, Tsamandas AC, Melachrinou M, Batistatou A, Scopa C. Expression of CD44 protein in renal cell carcinomas: association with p53 expression. Urol Oncol. 2002 Jan-Feb;7(1):13-7.
- Rioux-Leclercq N, Turlin B, Bansard J, Patard J, Manunta A, Moulinoux JP, et al. Value of immunohistochemical Ki-67 and p53 determinations as predictive factors of outcome in renal cell carcinoma. Urology. 2000 Apr;55(4):501-5.
- Hashimoto H, Sue Y, Saga Y, Tokumitsu M, Yachiku S. Roles of p53 and MDM2 in tumor proliferation and determination of the prognosis of transitional cell carcinoma of the renal pelvis and ureter. Int J Urol. 2000 Dec;7(12):457-63.
- Cloven NG, Kyshtoobayeva A, Burger RA, Yu IR, Fruehauf JP. In vitro chemoresistance and biomarker profiles are unique for histologic subtypes of epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2004 Jan;92(1):160-6.
- Komleva EO. Molekulyarnyye i geneticheskiye markery opukholevogo rosta. Sankt-Peterburg: Svetlitsa; 2010. 148 s. [in Russiаn].
- Olman K, Khaydenraykh A. Pervichnaya zrelaya teratoma yaichka: klinicheskiye, morfologicheskiye i immunogistokhimicheskiye faktory prognoza. Okourologiya. 2007;4:49-54. [in Russiаn].
- Jones RH, Vasey PA. New directions in testicular cancer; molecular determinants of oncogenesis and treatment success. Eur J Cancer. 2003 Jan;39(2):147-56.
- Wu J, Guo A, Li Q, Wang D. Meta-analysis of clinical significance of p53 protein expression in patients with osteosarcoma. Future Oncol. 2017 Sep;13(21):1883-91. DOI: 10.2217/fon-2017-0180
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 3 (152), 2019 year, 325-331 pages, index UDK 616.681 – 006 – 002.18 – 091.8 – 092.18