ULTRAMICROSCOPIC FEATURES OF THE MANDIBULAR GLANDS OF RATS IN NORM AND CHRONIC ETHANOL INTOXICATION
About the author:
Shevchenko K. V.
Type of article:
Three enzyme systems are involved in the metabolism of ethanol, which oxidize ethanol to acetaldehyde, which is a toxic by-product and damages tissues. The effect of ethanol on the organs of the digestive system is indisputable, so to objectify changes in the parenchymal and stromal components of the salivary glands allows electron microscopic examination. Materials made on 20 white outbred rats were used for its implementation. 10 animals were a control group, which was administered 4 times a day isotonic sodium chloride solution, and 10 – experimental, which was administered 4 times a day at 12 mg/kg 40 o ethanol. Animals were removed from the experiment on day 5. Pieces of the submandibular glands were enclosed in epon-812 according to conventional methods. Ultrathin sections were made on an ultramicrotome LKB-3 (Sweden). Contrast sections were performed first in a 1% solution of uranyl acetate in methanol, and then in lead citrate according to Reynolds. We studied in an electron microscope TEM – 125 K (serial number 38-76, TU 25-07-871-70) at an accelerating voltage (50-75) kW. In the electrograms of the mandibular glands of control rats in seromucosal cells, a nucleus with a large amount of euchromatin, a clear nucleolus and a large number of pores in the karyolema confirms signs of constant transcriptional processes, formation of a large number of ribosomes and active import and export through the nucleus. The granular endoplasmic reticulum fills almost the entire part of the perinuclear cytoplasm with the adjacent Goji complex where posttranslational processes take place and as a result the entire apical part of the cytoplasm is filled with granules whose contents enter the lumen of the terminal compartments by exocytosis and will enter the end saliva. Due to acute ethanol intoxication on the 5th day of the experiment, the vessels of the interstitial tissue of the resistive and metabolic links reacted with a sharp spasm, which was confirmed on electron patterns by deformation of blood cells in capillaries, explosion of vascular endothelial cells and shortened smooth myocytes. The bundles of collagen fibers were separated by thick layers of amorphous substance. Vessel spasm of the hemomicrocirculatory tract leads to inhibition of salivation to ensure sufficient hydration of the oral cavity to which the end cells respond by increasing the secretion process, as evidenced by an increase in the amount of euchromatin in the nucleus and the appearance of a large number of secretory polymorphisms. The processes of myoepithelial cells were elongated with pronounced myofilaments. In the epitheliocytes of striated ducts there was an increase in the number of mitochondria, which indicates their increased activity in the transfer of sodium ions against the concentration gradient in the sensory interstitium and the appearance of dilated intercellular spaces as a phenomenon of enhanced juxtacellular transport of water from interstitial tissue to interstitial tissue. Thus, in the initial stages of the study, the action of alcohol causes significant changes in both parenchymal elements and vessels of the hemomicrocirculatory tract, which is expressed by increased secretion in the terminal compartments and increased functional activity of the duct system, which provide watering and modification of saliva.
ethanol, rats, salivary glands, electron microscopic examination.
- Hazatova ND, Yurova KA, Havrylov DV, Lytvynova LS. Alkohol y ymmunytet. Henі y Kletky. 2018;13(1):47-55. [in Russian].
- Rozenfeld YY, Donskov SA, Chylykyna DL, Akopian AV, Kukharchuk AN, Mamedsakhatova LA, Patsoeva KhM. Nehatyvnoe vlyianye dlytelnoho systematycheskoho pryеma alkoholia na pechen krіs. Medytsyna. 2019;4(28):57-66. [in Russian].
- Ivanochko VM. Morfolohichnyi stan strukturnykh komponentiv filtratsiino-reabsorbtsiinoho barʼieru nyrok u normi i pry khronichnii alkoholizatsii napoiamy riznoi yakosti i mitsnosti [avtoreferat]. Ternopil; 2003: 19 s. [in Ukrainian].
- Karupu VYa. Elektronnaia mykroskopyia. Kyev: Vyshcha shkola; 1984. 207 s. [in Russian].
- European convention for the protection of vertebrate animals used for experimental an others scientific purposes. Strasbourg: Council of Europ; 1986;123. 52 p.
- Shevchenko KV, Yeroshenko GA, Yakushko OS, Kazakova KS, Kramarenko DR. Morphometric description of the exchange segment of microvasculature of rats’ salivary glands in normal conditions and chronic ethanol intoxication. Wiadomości Lekarskie. 2019;72(3):323-6.
- Silkina YuV, Volkov KS, Shevchenko KV. Morfometrychna kharakterystyka rezystyvnoi lanky hemomikrotsyrkuliatornoho rusla slynnykh zaloz shchuriv pry khronichnii intoksykatsii etanolom. Morfolohiia. 2018;12(1):51-4. [in Ukrainian].
- Yeroshenko GA, ShepitkoVI, Chaikovskyi YuB. Slynni zalozy. Histofiziolohiia stymulovanoi sekretsii. Poltava: SPD FO Kulibaba SV; 2014. 152 s. [in Ukrainian].
- Yeroshenko GA. Elektronomikroskopichna kharakterystyka pidshchelepnykh zaloz shchuriv, stymulovanykh adrenalinom. Tavrycheskyi medyko-byolohycheskyi vestnyk. 2006;9(9):56-8. [in Ukrainian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 3 (157), 2020 year, 264-268 pages, index UDK 616.316.1:615.9:599.323.4