IMPAIRMENT OF THE MORPHOGENESIS OF THE HEART OF RATS IN THE EARLY POSTNATAL PERIOD UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF LEAD ACETATE AND SUBJECT TO CORRECTION
About the author:
Dovgal G. V., Dovgal M. A., Shevchenko I. V.
Type of article:
The aim of the work was to investigate changes in heart morphogenesis under the conditions of lead acetate exposure and the effects of lycopene and inulin in rats. Studies have been carried out on female Wistar rats. Animals were kept in standard vivarium conditions. For the purpose of the study, animals were divided into four groups: 1 – control group; 2 – group with chronic lead acetate exposure; 3 – a group with chronic exposure to lead acetate and the addition of lycopene; 4 – a group with chronic exposure to lead acetate and the addition of inulin. The study material was the hearts of newborn rats (1, 5 and 7 days after birth of the studied female rats). Preparations stained by histological and immunohistochemical methods were studied using a light microscope and photographed with a digital camera. Statistical evaluation was performed using non-parametric methods. The Kolmogorov-Smirnov criterion is used to determine the normality of the distribution of data samples. Intergroup difference was determined by non-parametric Kruskal-Wallis criteria. The results of the morphometric study are presented as the mean and error of the mean (M ± m). Data samples were analyzed using software. Histological studies showed structural changes in the heart in groups 2, 3, and 4. In all the groups that were experimentally with lead acetate, the morphogenesis of the heart chambers and the membranes of the heart – endo, myo, and epicardium – were recorded. On day 1 of postnatal development, the cardiomyocytes formed fibers in the ventricles and atria of the myocardium. At 5, 7 days, an increase in the density of cardiomyocyte fibers in the ventricles of the heart, interventricular septum and left atrium was noted. In all groups with lead acetate, a decrease in the size of the nuclei of cardiomyocytes was observed. Changes in the expression of SMA, MMP-9 and VEGF in the myocardium were revealed. Disturbance of cardiac morphogenesis was characterized by a decrease in the expression of α-SMA, MMP-9 and VEGF in the myocardium in all periods of early postnatal development and is an immunohistochemical manifestation of damage to cardiomyocytes and fibroblasts. Lycopene and inulin improved heart morphogenesis, found on the basis of increased α-SMA expression in group 3, VEGF in group 3 and 4, and thickness of the heart chambers.
postnatal ontogenesis, lead acetate, heart, myocardium, lycopene, inulin, ventricles of the heart, heart atria, interventricular septum, cardiomyocytes, blood vessels
- Winiarska-Mieczan A, Krusinski R, Kwiecien M. Tannic Acid influence on lead and cadmium accumulation in the hearts and lungs of rats. Adv Clin Exp Med. 2013 Sep-Oct;22(5):615-20.
- Sharma S, Thakur A. Biochemical studies on the mice heart regarding lead acetate induced oxidative stress. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2017;8(3):1388- 92. DOI: 10.13040/IJPSR.0975-8232.8(3).1388-92
- Patra RC, Rautray AK, Swarup D. Oxidative Stress in Lead and Cadmium Toxicity and Its Amelioration. Veterinary Medicine International. 2011;1:9.
- Debosree Ghosh, Syed Benazir Firdaus, Elina Mitra, Aindrila Chattopadhyay, Sanjib K. Pattari, Santanu Dutta, et al. Aqueous leaf extract of Murraya koenigii protects against lead-induced cardio toxicity in male wistar rats. International Journal of Phytopharmacology. 2013;4(2):119- 32.
- Lee UE, Friedman SL. Mechanisms of Hepatic Fibrogenesis. Best Practice & Research. Clinical Gastroenterology. 2011;25(2):195-206. Available from: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpg.2011.02.005
- Zhao T, Zhao W, Chen Y, Ahokas RA, Sun Y. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-A: role on cardiac angiogenesis following myocardial infarction. Microvascular Research. 2010;80(2):188-94. Available from: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.mvr.2010.03.014
- Das KK, Jargar JG, Saha S, Yendigeri SM, Singh SB. А-tocopherol supplementation prevents lead acetate and hypoxia-induced hepatic dysfunction. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. 2015;47(3):285-91. Available from: http://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7613.157126
- Dovhal HV, Dovhal MA, Romanenko OA. The expression of immunohistochemical markers in the fetal liver after maternal exposure of lead acetate and under the correction. Science Review. 2017;7:17-9.
- Ema M, Endoh K, Fukushima R. Historical control data on developmental toxicity studies in rodents. Congenital Anomalies. 2014;54:150-61. DOI: 10.1111/cga.12050
- George L. Kumar, Lars Rudbeck. Immunogistohimicheskie metody: rukovodstvo: DAKO. Per. s angl. pod red. Franka GA, Malkova PG. 2011; 224 s. [in Russiаn].
- De la Torre NG, Buley I, Wass JA, Turner HE. Angiogenesis and lymphangiogenesis in thyroid proliferative lesions: relationship to type and tumour behaviour. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2006 Sep;13(3):931-44.
- Barbosa FJr, Sertorio JT, Gerlach RF, Tanus-Santos JE. Clinical evidence for lead-induced inhibition of nitric oxide formation. Arch Toxicol. 2006 Dec;80(12):811-6.
- Silveira EA, Lizardo JHF, Souza LP, Stefanon I, Vassallo DV. Acute lead-induced vasoconstriction in the vascular beds of isolated perfused rat tails is endothelium-dependent. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2010 May;43(5):492-9. DOI: 10.1590/S0100-879X2010007500027
- Babu MS, Gopal NV, Reddy KP. Post natal antioxidant enzyme activity of rat brain regions during developmental lead exposure. Environ Biol. 2007;28:21.
- Cabell L, Ferguson C, Luginbill D, Kern M, Weingart A, Audesirk G. Differential induction of heme oxygenase and other stress proteins in cultured hippocampal astrocytes and neurons by inorganic lead. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2004;198:49-60.
- Dovgal GV, Shevchenko IV. Ultrastrukturni osnovi kardiotoksichnoyi diyi acetatu svincyu na morfogenez sercya. Vistnik problem biologiyi i medicine. 2018;2(144):306-10. [in Ukrainian].
- Li N, Li X, Li L, Zhan P, Qiao M, Zhao Q, et al. Original Research. The expression of MMP2 and MMP9 in the hippocampus and cerebral cortex of newborn mice under maternal lead exposure. Experimental Biology and Medicine. 2016;241(16):1811-8. Available from: http://doi. org/10.1177/1535370216647808
- Liu X, Su P, Meng S, Aschner M, Cao Y, Luo W, et al. Role of matrix metalloproteinase-2/9 (MMP2/9) in lead-induced changes in an in vitro bloodbrain barrier model. International Journal of Biological Sciences. 2017;13(11):1351-60. Available from: http://doi.org/10.7150/ijbs.20670
- Ghosh D, Mitra E, Firdaus SB, Ghosh AK, Chattopadhyay A, Pattari SK, et al. Melatonin protects against lead-induced cardio toxicity: involvement of antioxidant mechanism. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2013;5(3):806-13.
- Hossain MA, Bouton CM, Pevsner J, Laterra J. Induction of vascular endothelial growth factor in human astrocytes by lead. Involvement of a protein kinase C/activator protein-1 complex-dependent and hypoxia-inducible factor 1-independent signaling pathway. J Biol Chem. 2000 Sep. 8;275(36):74-82.
- Barbeito AG, Martinez-Palma L, Vargas MR, Pehar M, Manay N, Beckman JS, et al. Lead exposure stimulates VEGF expression in the spinal cord and extends survival in a mouse model of ALS. Neurobiology of Disease. 2010;37(3):574-80. Available from: http://doi.org/10.1016/j. nbd.2009.11.007
- Rosano JM, Cheheltani R, Wang B, Vora H, Kiani MF, Crabbe DL. Targeted Delivery of VEGF after a Myocardial Infarction Reduces Collagen Deposition and Improves Cardiac Function. Cardiovasc Eng Technol. 2012 Jun;3(2):237-47.
- Marwa A, Ahmed and Khaled M, Hassanein A. Cardio protective effects of Nigella sativa oil on lead induced cardio toxicity: anti inflammatory and antioxidant mechanism. J. Physiol. Pathophysiol. December 2013;4(5):72-80.
- Hernandez-Martinez AR, Molina GA, Jimenez-Hernandez LF, Oskam AH, Fonseca G, Estevez M. Evaluation of Inulin Replacing Chitosan in a Polyurethane/Polysaccharide Material for Pb2+ Removal. Molecules. 2017 Nov;29;22(12). DOI: 10.3390/molecules22122093
- Usama M, Mahmoud Abdel-Basset M. Ebied, Salwa M. Mohamed. Effect of lead on some haematological and biochemical characteristics of Clarias gariepinus dietary supplemented with lycopene and vitamin E. Egypt. Acad. J. Biolog. Sci. 2013;5(1):67-89.
- Komousani TA, Moselhy SS. Modulation of lead biohazards using a combination of epicatechin and lycopene in rats. Hum Exp Toxicol. 2011 Oct;30(10):1674-81. DOI: 10.1177/0960327110396536. Epub 2011 Jan 24
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 4 Part 2 (147), 2018 year, 271-276 pages, index UDK 611:616.12;616.127;611.08