ULTRASTRUCTURAL CHANGES IN THE RESPIRATORY DEPARTMENT OF THE LUNGS UNDER THE EXPERIMENTAL HEPATOPULMONARY SYNDROME
About the author:
Krynytska I. Ya., Marushchak M. I., Kamyshnyi O. M., Badiuk O. O.
Type of article:
Research purpose. To investigate the ultrastructural features of the respiratory part of lung in rats with simulated hepatopulmonary syndrome. Object and research methods. The study was conducted on 28 adult non-linear male rats weighing 200-230 g. The HPS model was created by applying a double ligature to the common bile duct and then crossing it with a scalpel. On the 31st day after the operation, the animals were removed from the experiment under thiopental anesthesia. The sampling of the material for electron microscopy studies was carried out according to the generally accepted methodology. Research results and their discussion. Electron microscopic studies of the respiratory department of animal lungs at 31 day after crossing the common bile duct revealed significant changes in all structural components in many alveoli. Expansion and blood filling of the gaps of the blood capillaries in the alveoli were observed, and blood cells were detected in them. The ultrastructure of the components of the air-hematic barrier also changed significantly. Under the conditions of experimental HPS, the ultrastructure of type II alveolocytes was disturbed. The established state of organelles providing secretory process in alveolocytes of the second type indicates their low secretory activity and inhibition of surfactant production. Submicroscopic studies have shown an increase in the number of alveolar macrophages and their activation in animals on the 31st day after crossing the common bile duct. Conclusion. Electron microscopic studies of the respiratory department of the lungs in rats with simulated hepatopulmonary syndrome revealed changes in all structural components of the alveoli, airborne barrier, ultrastructure of the alveolocytes of the second type and an increase in the number of active alveolar macrophages, which is probably the structural basis of hepatopulmonary syndrome with impaired pulmonary blood flow, violation of ventilation/perfusion ratio and development of arterial hypoxemia.
hepatopulmonary syndrome, lungs, ultrastructure.
- Kreimeyer S, Grenacher L. Diffuse and vascular hepatic diseases. Radiologe. 2011;51(8):704-13.
- Melanich SL. Syrovatkovi markery fibrozu u khvorykh na khronichni dyfuzni zakhvoryuvannya pechinky. Zhurnal NAMN Ukrayiny. 2013;19:89. [in Ukrainian].
- Rudenko AI, Melʹnychenko LYa, Klenina IA, Haydar YuA, Halinsʹkyy OO. Funktsionalʹno-morfolohichni zminy pechinky pry eksperymentalʹnomu hepatyti. Visnyk problem biolohiyi і medytsyny. 2012;2(95):191-4. [in Ukrainian].
- Mokdad AA, Lopez AD, Shahraz S, Lozano R, Mokdad AH, Stanaway J, et al. Liver cirrhosis mortality in 187 countries between 1980 and 2010: a systematic analysis. BMC Med. 2014;12:145.
- Gundling F, Schmidt T, Schepp W. Common complications of cirrhosis: do we follow too often the ‘Casablanca strategy’? Liver Int. 2011;31(10):1598-600.
- Abrahamovych O, Abrahamovych M, Tolopko S, Ferko M. Character and frequency of the variations of co- and polymorbid syntropic extrahepatic lesions and their dependence on the hepatopulmonary syndrome severity degree in cirrhotic patients. Georgian Med News. 2016;11(260):34-41.
- Grace JA, Angus PW. Hepatopulmonary syndrome: update on recent advances in pathophysiology, investigation, and treatment. J. Gastroenterol. Hepatol. 2013;28(2):213-9.
- Fritz JS, Fallon MB, Kawut SM. Pulmonary vascular complications of liver disease. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2013;187(2):133.
- Ho V. Current concepts in the management of hepatopulmonary syndrome. Vascular Health and Risk Management. 2008;4(5):1035-41.
- Fallon MB, Abrams GA, McGrath JW, Hou Z, Luo B. Common bile duct ligation in the rat: a model of intrapulmonary vasodilatation and hepatopulmonary syndrome. Am. J. Physiol. 1997;272(4):779-84.
- Horalʹsʹkyy LP, Khomych VT, Kononsʹkyy OI. Osnovy histolohichnoyi tekhniky i morfofunktsionalʹni metody doslidzhenʹ u normi ta pry patolohiyi. Zhytomyr: Polissya; 2011. 288 s. [in Ukrainian].
- Bilash SM, Pronina OM, Koptev MM. Comprehensive morphological studies as an intergal part of modern medical science. Literature review. Visnyk problem biolohiyi i medytsyny. 2019;2.2(151):20-3. DOI: 10.29254/2077-4214-2019-2-2-151-20-23
- Zaiats LM, Kuz UV. Pathomorphological changes of respiratory department of lungs due to multiple skeletal trauma with the use of intramedullary osteosynthesis in the experiment. Word of Medicine and Biology. 2018;4(66):160-4.
- Zayatsʹ LM, Kuzʹ UV. Elektronno-mikroskopichni zminy alʹveolyarnoho epiteliyu lehenʹ pry mnozhynniy skeletniy travmi. Visnyk morfolohiyi. 2017;2(23):195-8. [in Ukrainian].
- Nebesna ZM. Strukturna reorhanizatsiya alʹveolyarnykh makrofahiv respiratornoho viddilu lehenʹ v dynamitsi pislya eksperymentalʹnoyi termichnoyi travmy ta v umovakh zastosuvannya podribnenoho substratu liofilizovanoyi ksenoshkiry. Visnyk problem biolohiyi i medytsyny. 2015;3.2(123):305-9. [in Ukrainian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 4 Part 2 (154), 2019 year, 304-308 pages, index UDK 616.36/616.24-002.8-02]-092.9