IDENTIFYING FEATURES OF THE INFLUENCE OF WEIGHT GAIN AT A YOUNG AGE ON LIFE QUALITY
About the author:
Boriak Kh. R., Vesnina L. E.
Type of article:
Global trends indicate a rapid increase in the number of overweight and obese people among elderly and young adults. Increased body weight even without diagnosed clinical signs can affect the physical and social functioning of the person, psychological and mental state, satisfaction with their lives and reduce its quality. The aim of the study was to determine influence of high body weight on the life quality of young people. 84 people of both sexes and ages ranging from 18 to 25 participated in the study. Grouping was performed by body mass index (BMI). The control group (BMI 18,50-24,99 kg/m2 ) included 22 males and 22 females, the group with high body weight (BMI 25,00-29,99 kg/m2 ) – 20 males and 20 females. Anthropometric measurements included determination of height, body weight, circumference of waist and hips, their ratio. Caliperometry method was used to determine the thickness of the skin folds and calculated the percentage of body fat by the sum of three folds. Quality of life was assessed using the SF-36 questionnaire. The results obtained are statistically processed. The negative impact of weight gain on the quality of life of young people has been confirmed. Males with high body mass had significantly decreased indicators of physical functioning, role physical and emotional functioning, pain, general physical and mental health. Significantly decreased indicators of role physical functioning by 27,09%, role emotional functioning by 35,52%, respectively, compared to indicators of the control group. Females had significantly decreased physical functioning, overall health, pain intensity, vitality, social functioning, role emotional functioning, mental health and the mental health component. The indicators of the mental component of health reached a significant decrease – the indicator of life activity decreased by 21,50%, social functioning by 24,96%, role emotional functioning by 28,08%. There was a significant decrease in all indicators, which are combined into scales of the physical component of health for men, and the mental component of health for women. The correlation analysis revealed the formation of reliable positive correlation relationships mainly of the average strength between anthropometric indicators and quality of life indicators in the control group and negative relationships mainly of average strength in the overweight people of both sexes.
overweight, anthropometric parameters, body mass index, quality of life.
- World Health Organization. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Geneva. World Health Organization. 2000;894. 252 p.
- Norgan NG, Jones PRM. The effect of standardising the body mass index for relative sitting height. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders. 1995;19:206-8.
- Shevchenko YuS. Pozytyvnyi enerhetychnyi balans pryzvodyt do pidvyshchennia masy tila u molodykh osib. Aktualni problemy suchasnoi medytsyny. 2015;15(2):212-8. [in Ukrainian].
- Sergienko VM. Zdorovia ta fizychnyi rozvytok studentskoi molodi. Fizychne vykhovannia, sport i kultura zdorovia u suchasnomu suspilstvi: zbirnyk nauk. prats. Lutsk: VNU im. Lesi Ukrainky. 2009;2:79-82. [in Ukrainian].
- McHorney CA. Health status assessment methods for adults: past accomplishments and future challenges. Annu Rev Public Health. 1999;20:309-35.
- Jia H, Lubetkin EI. The impact of obesity on health-related quality-of-life in the general adult US population. J. Public Health (Oxford, England). 2005 Jun;27(2):156-64.
- Martirosov EG, Nikolaiev DV, Rudniev SH. Tehnologii i metody opredeleniya sostava tela cheloveka. Moskva: Nauka; 2006. 247 s. [in Russiаn].
- World Health Organization. Expert consultation. Appropriate body-mass index for Asian populations and its implications for policy and intervention strategies. The Lancet. 2004;363(9403):157-63. Available from: https: //www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14726171
- World Health Organization. Physical status: the use and interpretation of anthropometry. Report of a WHO Expert Committee. World Health Organization. Technical Reports Series; 854. Geneva: World Health Organization. 1995;463. [Internet]. Available from: http: //helid. digicollection.org/en/d/Jh0211e/
- Jackson AS, Pollock ML. Generalized equations for predicting body density of men. Br. J. Nutr. 1978;40(3):497-504.
- Jackson AS, Pollock ML, Ward A. Generalized equations for predicting body density of women. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 1980;12(3):175-82.
- Ware JE, Snow KK, Kosinski M, Gandek B. SF-36 health survey: manual & interpretation guide. Quality Metric. Boston, Mass.: Health Assessment Lab. 1993;2000.
- Branca F, Nikogosian H, Lobstein T. Problema ozhyrenyia v Evropeiskom rehyone VOZ y stratehyy ee reshenyia. Vsemyrnaia orhanyzatsyia zdravookhranenyia; 2009. 392 s. [in Russiаn].
- Jakicic JM, Polley BA, Wing RR. Accuracy of self-reported exercise and the relationship with weight loss in owerweight women. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 1998 Apr;30(4):634-8.
- The WHOQOL Group. The World Health Organization Quality of Life Assessment (WHOQOL): Position Paper from the World Health Organization. Soc Sci Med. 1995;41(10):1403-9. [Internet]. Available from: https://www.who.int/mental_health/media/68.pdf
- Staque MJ. Quality of Life assessment in clinical trials [monography]. Oxford, N.Y., Tokyo: Oxford University Press; 1998. 360 р.
- Shevchenko YuS, Vesnina LE, Kajdashev IP. Osoblivosti harchovoyi povedinki u osib z normalnoyu ta pidvishenoyu masoyu tila. Fiziol. zhurn. 2015;61(3):51-8. [in Ukrainian].
- Dub M, Meleha K. Suchasni pidkhody do fizychnoi reabilitatsii osib z nadlyshkovoiu masoiu tila ta ozhyrinniam v umovakh navchannia u vuzi. Moloda sportyvna nauka Ukrainy. 2012;3:87-94. [in Ukrainian].
- Meleha KP, Dub MM, Dulo OA. Yakist zhyttia studentok molodshykh kursiv z riznym indeksom masy tila. Fizychna kultura, sport ta zdorovia natsii: zb. nauk. pr. Vinnytsia. 2011;1(12):236-41. [in Ukrainian].
- Dudar LV, Honcharenko LI, Ovdii MO, Brukhanska VS. Vplyv nadmirnoi vahy na yakist zhyttia osib molodoho viku. Ukrainskyi naukovomedychnyi molodizhnyi zhurnal. 2012;4:19-20. [in Ukrainian].
- Pavlova Yu, Tulaidan V, Vynohradskyi B. Vplyv fizychnoi aktyvnosti na yakist zhyttia studentiv. Visnyk Chernihivskoho natsionalnoho pedahohichnoho universytetu. 2011;1(91):350-5. [in Ukrainian].
- National Institutes of Health. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults-the evidence report. Obes Res. 1998;6(2):51-209.
- Beihul IO, Tonkonoh VM, Shyshkina OM. Dynamika pokaznykiv fizychnoho rozvytku ta psykhoemotsiinoho stanu studentok voleibolistok. Molodyi vchenyi. 2017;3.1(43.1):37-40. [in Ukrainian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 4 Part 2 (154), 2019 year, 390-394 pages, index UDK 616-056.5-053.81