VARIABILITY PECULIARITIES OF MORPHOMETRIC PARAMETERS OF THE LATERAL VENTRICLES OF THE BRAIN IN ADULTS AND THE ELDERLY
About the author:
Kolesnyk V. V., Oliinyk I. Yu.
Type of article:
The topical direction of modern morphological studies is the study of sexual dimorphism of lateral ventricles of the brain in the age aspect, taking into account individual variability, which makes it possible to obtain new data on their structure and apply them in neurosurgery, neurology, pathological anatomy, forensic medicine and other areas of medicine and biology. Objective. To conduct complex morphometry of the lateral ventricles of the brain in adults and the elderly with the determination of their sexual dimorphism and hemispheric asymmetry. Object and methods. The study has been conducted using 65 computed tomograms of patients of the radiological Department of the Swedish-Ukrainian clinic “Angelholm” (Chernivtsi). The following methods have been used: computed tomography, morphometry, and statistical analysis. The tomography has been performed in standard anatomical planes (frontal, sagital, axial) on a computer tomograph Philips MX8000 16-sectional – with a scan thickness of up to 0.5 mm (absorption range -1024 to +3072 Hounsfield units), the power of an X-ray tube of 6.5 MHU. All studies have been conducted in compliance with the basic provisions of bioethics. Results. The 1st period of the mature age (30 years) is characterized by the fact that the size of the lateral ventricles of the brain in men exceeds the size of the lateral ventricles of the brain in women, as a rule, due to the length and width of the posterior horn of the right and left lateral ventricles and the length of the central part of the right and left lateral ventricles. The hemispheric asymmetry in the structures of the lateral ventricles of the brain in men and women in this age group has been revealed. It has been statistically authentically established that the size of the lateral ventricles in men exceeds the size of the lateral ventricles of the brain in women in terms of the width of the anterior horn of the right lateral ventricle, the length of the posterior horn of the left lateral ventricle and the anterior-posterior size of the left ventricle in the 2nd period of the mature age (50 years). The hemispheric asymmetry of the size of the lateral ventricles of the brain in this age group has been observed mainly in men. In most cases, the size of the lateral ventricles of the brain exceeds the similar parameters in women in the width of the central part of the left lateral ventricle, the width of the posterior horn of the right and left lateral ventricles, the distance between the posterior horns of the lateral ventricles in the elderly period (70 years) in men. Conclusion. During the study of the individual diversity of sexual dimorphism of the lateral ventricles of the brain in the age aspect, the most prominent in nominal terms metric parameters are: the width of the posterior horn of the right and left lateral ventricles; length of the central part of the right and left lateral ventricles; the distance between the anterior horns of the lateral ventricles and the width of the central part of the lateral ventricle. The dimensional characteristics of the lateral ventricles of people of the 1st and 2nd periods of adulthood according to the mentioned above parameters are characterized by a large individual variability, which within this group has no chronological dependence, being within the minimum and maximum values. The results obtained in the morphometry of the lateral ventricles of the brain in men and women of the 2nd period of adulthood (from 36 to 60years and from 36 to 56 years, respectively) are somewhat different according to the parameters mentioned above. However, their arithmetic mean values are quite comparable. The hemispheric asymmetry of the lateral ventricles of the brain in the elderly has not been practically observed and was represented in men aged 60 by the length of the posterior horn of the lateral ventricle, and in women aged 70 by the length and width of the anterior horn of the left lateral ventricle.
lateral ventricles, brain, postnatal ontogenesis, morphometry, sexual variability, hemispheric asymmetry, human
- Snell RS. Clinical anatomy by Regions: 9-th Edition. LWW; Ninth, North American Edition, 2011. 768 p.
- Pfefferbaum A, Rohlfing T, Rosenbloom MJ, Chu W, Colrain IM, Sullivan EV. Variation in longitudinal trajectories of regional brain volumes of healthy men and women (ages 10 to 85 years) measured with atlas-based parcellation of MRI. Neuroimage. 2013;65:176-93. PMID: 23063452. PMCID: PMC3516371. DOI: 10,1016 /j.neuroimage.2012.10.008
- Chollet MB, Aldridge K, Pangborn N, Weinberg SM, Deleon VB. Landmarking the brain for geometric morphometric analysis: an error study. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 28;9(1):e86005. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0086005
- Klöppel S, Peter J, Ludl A, Pilatus A, Maier S, Mader I, et al. Applying automated MR-based diagnostic methods to the memory clinic: a prospective study. J. Alzheimers Dis. 2015;47:939-54. Available from: https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-150334
- Tong T, Ledig C, Guerrero R, Schuh A, Koikkalainen J, Tolonen A, et al. Five-class differential diagnostics of neurodegenerative diseases using random undersampling boosting. NeuroImage Clin. 2017;15:613-24. DOI: 10.1016/j.nicl.2017.06.012
- Chaarani B, Capel C, Zmudka J, Daouk J, Anthony F, Gondry-Jouet C, et al. Estimation of the Lateral Ventricles Volumes from a 2D Image and Its Relationship with Cerebrospinal Fluid Flow. BioMed Research International. Volume 2013, Article ID 215989. PMCID: PMC3787552. PMID: 24151585 DOI: 10.1155/2013/215989 7. Vojinovic D, Adams HH, Jian X, Yang Q, Smith AV, Bis JC, et al. Genome-wide association study of 23,500 individuals identifies
- loci associated with brain ventricular volume. Nature Communications. 2018. Vol. 9, Article number: 3945. Journal homepage: www.nature.com/naturecommunications. DOI: 10.1038/s41467-018-06234-w
- Long X, Liao W, Jiang C, Liang D, Qiu B, Zhang L. Healthy aging: an automatic analysis of global and regional morphological alterations of human brain. Acad. Radiol. 2012;19(7):785-93. DOI: 10.1016/j.acra.2012.03.006
- Hasan KM, Moeller FG, Narayana PA. DTI-based segmentation and quantification of human brain lateral ventricular CSF volumetry and mean diffusivity: validation, age, gender effects and biophysical implications. Magn. Reson. Imaging. 2014 Jun;32(5):405-12. DOI: 10.1016/j. mri.2014.01.014
- Mitro A, Lorencova M, Kutna V, Polak S. Labelling of individual ependymal areas in lateral ventricles of human brain: ependymal tables. Bratisl. Med. J. 2018;119(5):265-71. DOI: 10.4149/BLL_2018_049
- Mishalov VD, Chaikovskyi YuB, Tverdokhlib IV. Dotrymannia etychnykh i zakonodavchykh norm i vymoh pry vykonanni naukovykh morfolohichnykh doslidzhen. Kyiv; 2007. 76 s. [in Ukrainian].
- Mishalov VD, Voichenko VV, Malysheva TA, Dibrova VA, Kuzyk PV, Yurchenko VT. Poriadok vyluchennia biolohichnykh obiektiv vid pomerlykh, tila yakykh pidliahaiut sudovo-medychnii ekspertyzi i patolohoanatomichnomu doslidzhenniu, dlia naukovykh tsilei: metodychni rekomendatsii. Osvita Ukrainy: spetsvypusk hazety. Kyiv: Pedahohichna presa. 2018;2(62):3-13. [in Ukrainian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 2 Part 2 (151), 2019 year, 205-210 pages, index UDK 611.813.8.06-053.88/.9