Morphological Study of Adrenal Glands in Patients with Malignant Neoplasms
About the author:
Omelchenko V. F.
Type of article:
The purpose of the research is to study morphological features of adrenal glands in patients with malignant tumors that do not produce hormonelike materials. The paper is the fragment from the P 04. 12 Scientific Research, entitled “Study of the Mechanisms of the Development of Postoperative Complications in Acute Intestinal Ischemia during Surgical Correction of Blood Supply and Resections, Applied during Surgical Interventions”. Materials and methods of research. Autoptates of adrenal glands of patients (NО Group, included 25 cases) with morphological malignant tumors not affected the adrenal glands, and without hormones production, have been studied. results and their discussion. Macroscopically, the adrenal glands of the control group (CG) were leaf-shaped with the following dimensions: length: 5 ± 0. 5 cm, width 3 ± 0. 5 cm, thickness 0. 8 ± 0. 1 cm. The section clearly showed separation into two layers – cortical and medulla. Cortical layer was of bright ocherous color and medulla was grayish-red. Microscopically, cortical layer was represented by three distinct areas: external – glomerular, mesial – fascicular, and internal – cancellous. Glomerular area is located beneath the capsule, and its cells are grouped in small clusters; the widest area, i. e., fascicular one, consists of regular bundles of 1–2 cells thick, directed perpendicularly to the capsule; cancellous area is located between fascicular area and medulla, formed in small bundles. Great majority of capillaries are located between cells of all areas. Cells of glomerular area are big, with light foamy cytoplasm. While coloring in fat, a great number of lipids have been detected. Macroscopically, adrenal glands of patients with malignant neoplasms were of normal shape, cortical layer was maize yellow; medulla was of grayish-red color. Microscopically, signs of increment in activity of adrenal cortex with darkening of fascicular area, occurrence of areas of discomplexation of fascicular structures and multiple focuses of cortex delipidization have been detected. Percentage ratio of dark (delipidized while coloring by Sudan- III) and light cells in the fascicular area of adrenal cortex in patients with malignant neoplasms also had significant differences from the control group. Dramatic increase of percentage of dark cells in fascicular area of adrenal cortex, as compared with the control group, has been detected in patients with malignant neoplasms. Thus, on the basis of morphological and morfometrical data, general thinning of adrenal cortex with hyperfunction of fascicular area has been observed in patients with malignant neoplasms. conclusions. Thickness of adrenal cortex is significantly lowering in patients with malignant neoplasms due to all three areas, i. e., glomerular (0,19 ± 0,001 mm), fascicular (0,86 ± 0,004 mm) and cancellous (0,11 ± 0,009 mm). Morphological manifestations of increased activity of adrenal cortex fascicular area (delipidization) have been observed in patients with malignant neoplasms. Significant increase of percentage of dark cells in fascicular area of adrenal cortex (37,2 %) is evident in patients with malignant neoplasms. The perspectives of further research is to study of morphological features of adrenal cortex in patients with generalized atherosclerosis.
adrenal gland, malignant neoplasms.
- Антелава О. А. Паранеопластический миозит. Особенности дебюта, клинической картины, течения, стероид–респон-сивности / О. А. Антелава // Научно–практическая ревматология. – 2013. – № 2. – С. 181–185.
- Дворецкий Л. И. Паранеопластические синдромы / Л. И. Дворецкий // Consilium medicum. – 2003. – Т. 3, № 3. – С. 12–18.
- Евтушенко С. К. Паранеопластические неврологические синдромы (клиника, диагностика и возможности лечения) / С. К. Евтушенко // Міжнародний неврологічний журнал. – 2011. – № 8. – С. 9–21.
- Хассуна С. М. Диагностический алгоритм обследования больных паранеопластическими дерматозами / С. М. Хассу- на // Вестник Витебского государственного медицинского университета. – 2003. – Т. 2, № 3. – С. 79–87.
- Шнайдер Н. А. Клиническая гетерогенность паранеопластического синдрома / Н. А. Шнайдер, Ю. А. Дыхно, В. В. Ежи- кова // Сибирский онкологический журнал. – 2011. – № 3 (45). – С. 82–90.
- Heymann W. R. Paraneoplastic autoimmune multiorgan syndrome / W. R. Heymann // J. Am. Acad. Dermatol. – 2004. – Vol.51(4). – P. 631–632.
- Honnorat J. Paraneoplastic neurological syndromes / J. Honnorat, J. C. Antoine // Orphanet. J. Rare. Dis. – 2007. – Vol. 4. – P. 2–22.
- Ritzenthaler T. Paraneoplastic chorea and behavioral disorders in a patient with anti–CV2/CRMP5 antibodies and two different tumors / T. Ritzenthaler, J. M. Verret, J. Honnorat // Rev. Neurol. (Paris). – 2009. – Vol. 166 (1). – P. 90–95.
- Vernino S. Paraneoplastic disorders affecting the neuromuscular junction or anterior horn cell / S. Vernino // Continuum Lifelong Learning Neurol. – 2009. – Vol. 15 (1). – P. 127–141.
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 1 (106), 2014 year, 304-307 pages, index UDK 616. 45 – 091: 616 – 006. 6