THE mRNA EXPRESSION CHARACTER OF HIF-1αAND HIF-3α, NITROTYROSINE, сGMP AND INTERLEUKINS IN THE MONGOLIAN GERBILS BRAIN WITH ACUTE ISCHEMIA DURING THE GLUTATHIONE SYSTEM MODULATORS THERAPY
About the author:
Belenichev I. F., Lytvynenko E. S., Kamyshnyi A. M.
CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE
Type of article:
The growth and spread of ischemic brain lesions among people around the world continues to grow steadily, in spite of the progress made in modern neuropharmacology. Under these circumstances an important aspect in the treatment of cerebral stroke becomes the pharmacological regulation of the molecular and biochemical mechanisms of endogenous neuroprotection. The important directions of modern neuroprotection are: increasing the resistance of the nervous tissue to hypoxia, reducing the local inflammatory response and limiting the reactions of nitrosative stress. The aim of our studywas to investigate the effect of glutathione system modulators- selenase, glutoxim and glutaredoxin – on the mRNA expression character of HIF-1αand HIF-3α, markers of nitrosative stress and interleukins in the Mongolian gerbils brain with acute ischemia. Object and methods.The experimental part was conducted on 60 male Mongolian gerbils (Meriones unguiculatus) weighing between 60 and 80 g. In accordance to the research program, an irreversible one-way ligation of the common carotid artery was utilized, which presently is generally accepted as an experimental model of acute cerebral circulatory disorders. To study the effect of experimental drugs they were administered intraperitoneally one time daily for 4 days, starting from the first ones, after recovery from anesthesia. Comparison drug and physiological solution (control group) were administered in the same way. Efficiency of glutathione system modulators (selenase – 50 µg/kg, glutoxim – 50 mg/kg, glutaredoxin – 200 µl/kg) and comparison drug (pyracetam – 500 mg/ kg) evaluated by their influences on the mRNA expression state of HIF-1α andHIF-3α, real-time reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) in brain tissue was used. The nitrotyrosine, TNF-α, IL-4, IL-1β, cGMP levels was determined by ELISA in brain tissue. The results of the study were processed using a statistical package of the licensed programs «STATISTICA for Windows 6.1» (StatSoft Inc.), «SPSS 16.0», «Microsoft Excel 2003». Results.It has been established that the cerebral ischemia modeling leads to a significant increase mRNA expression of HIF-1αand insignificant mRNA expression of HIF-3αon the 4th day of model pathology in brain tissue. The course injection of the study drugs within 4 days after the experimental ischemia leads to a significant increase in the expression of HIF-1α, leading in this series glutoxim (37 times higher than the control group) ˃selenase (20 times higher control) ˃pyratsetam (17 times higher control) ˃glutaredoxin (15 times higher control). This increase in HIF-1αexpression increases the neuron’s resistance to hypoxia. It should be noted that injections of glutaredoxin resulted in an increase in mRNA of HIF-3αexpression relative to control values, and selenase and glutoxim did not significantly change the expression of this gene. The results of these studies show that compared with the sharm operated animals, the group of gerbils with stroke showed significant increase of nitrotyrosine, TNF-α, IL-1β, levels and a decrease in IL-4 cGMP levels. A course of treatment with selenase, glutoxim and gutaredoxin increase of IL-4 level and decrease nitrotyrosine, TNF-αand cGMP levels. The results confirm the presence of neuroprotective properties in selenase, glutoxim and glutaredoxin. These properties were identified by their ability to restore the thiol-disulfide balance, to raise the level of IL-4 and the expression of HIFs and reduce the high levels of nitrotyrosine and pro-inflammatory interleukins in ischemic brain injury, resulting in the reduction of neuronal loss following a stroke. Conclusion.The obtained data are experimental justification for the use of selenase, glutoxim and glutaredoxin in the complex therapy of cerebral ischemia.
cerebral ischemia, HIF-s, interleukins, cGMP, nitrotyrosine, selenase, glutoxim, glutaredoxin
- Belenichev IF, Cherniy VI, Nagornaya YeA, Pavlov SV, Cherniy TV, Bukhtiyarova NV, i dr. Neyroprotektsiya i neyroplastichnost'. Kuiv: Logos; 2015. 510 s. [in Russiаn].
- Belenichev IF, Cherniy VI, Kolesnik YuM, Pavlov SV, Andronova IA, Abramov AV, i dr. Ratsional'naya neyroprotektsiya. Donetsk: Izdatel' Zaslavskiy A.Yu; 2009. 262 s. [in Russiаn].
- Belenichev IF, Litvinenko YeS. Fermentativnoye i nefermentativnoye zveno tiol-disul'fidnoy sistemy v golovnom mozge eksperimental'nykh zhivotnykh s tserebral'noy ishemiyey: effekty selenazy. Farmakologíya ta líkars'ka toksikologíya. 2015;1(42):13-6. [in Russiаn].
- Belenichev IF, Litvinenko YeS. Neyroprotektivnyye effekty pri modulyatsii glutationovoy sistemy golovnogo mozga, vliyaniye na letal'nost', nevrologicheskiy defitsit, oksiddativnyy stress v usloviyakh eksperimental'noy ONMK. Vísnik problem bíologíí̈í meditsini. 2016;3(2):94-9. [in Russiаn].
- Belenichev IF, Litvinenko YeS. Neyroprotektivnaya aktivnost' modulyatorov tiol-disul'fidnoy sistemy v usloviyakh modelirovaniya glutamatnoy eksaytotoksichnosti in vitro. Farmakologíya ta líkars'ka toksikologíya. 2017;4-5(55):20-7. [in Russiаn].
- Belenichev IF, Steblyuk VS, Kamyshnyy AM. Kharakter ekspressii mRNK iNOS I yeNOS v miokarde krys s alkogol'noy kardiomiopatiyey i na fone provodimoy terapii metabolitotropnymi. Vísnik problem bíologíí̈í meditsini. 2017;2(136):82-7. [in Russiаn].
- Burova YeB, Vasilenko KP, Antonov VG, Nikol'skiy NN. Transaktivatsiya retseptora epidermal'nogo faktora rosta okislennym glutationom i yego farmakologicheskim analogom glutoksimom v kletkakh A 431. Doklady akademii nauk. 2005;1(404):1-3. [in Russiаn].
- Novikov VYe, Levchenkova OS. Novyye napravleniya poiska lekarstvennykh sredstv s antigipoksicheskoy aktivnost'yu i misheni dlya ikh deystviya. Eksper. i klin. farmakol. 2013;5(76):37-46. [in Russiаn].
- Alan McIntyre & Adrian L Harris. Metabolic and hypoxic adaptation to antiangiogenic therapy: a target for induced essentiality. EMBO Molecular Medicine. 2015;4(7):368-79.
- Badawi Y, Ramamoorthy P, Shi H. Hypoxia-inducible factor 1 protects hypoxic astrocytes against glutamate toxicity. ASN NEURO [Internet]. [cited 2012];4(4):art:e00090. Available from: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi:10.1042/AN20120006
- Florian Rieß. Regulation of expression and functional characterization of human HIF-3α. München; 2015. 111 p.
- Heidbreder Marc, Fro Frederike Hlich, Olaf Jo Hren. Hypoxia rapidly activates HIF-3 mRNA expression. The FASEB Journal. 2003;17:1541-3.
- Prabhu Ramamoorthy and Honglian Shi. Ischemia induces different levels of hypoxia inducible factor-1αprotein expression in interneurons and pyramidal neurons. Acta Neuropathological Communications [Internet]. [cited 2014];2(51):1-10. Available from: www.actaneurocomms.org/content2014
- Qingdong Ke, Max Costa. HIF-1, a new target for therapy. Mol Pharmacol. 2006;70:1469-80.
- Shrivastava K, Shukla D, Bansal A, Sairam M, Banerjee P, Ilavazhagan G. Neuroprotective effect of cobalt chloride on hypobaric hypoxiainduced oxidative stress. Neurochem Int. 2008;52:368-75.
- Yosuke Watanabea, Colin E. Murdocha, Soichi Sanob, Yasuo Idoc, Markus M. Bachschmida, Richard A. Cohena, et al. Glutathione adducts induced by ischemia and deletion of glutaredoxin-1 stabilize HIF-1αand improve limb revascularization. PNAS [Internet]. [cited 2016 May 24];113(21):6011-6. Available from: www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1524198113 PNAS
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 1 Part 1 (142), 2018 year, 103-108 pages, index UDK 612.822.014.1:577.112