THE ROLE OF Ki67 AND iNOS EXPRESSION IN EARLY PREGNANCY LOSS
About the author:
Zastavnyy I., Yashchenko A., Tkach I., Shponka I., Lutsyk A.
Type of article:
The term “pregnancy miscarriage” (PM) includes the loss of the fetus from conception to the 16th-26th full week of fetal development, depending on the legal norms of different countries and is the most often its complication. Early pregnancy miscarriage (until the 12 th week of gestation) is the most frequent type of PM. The first barrier and the main component of the fetomaternal interface in the early stages of development are the structural components of the chorionic villi. A detailed study of the expression of Ki67 immunohistochemical marker (cell proliferation marker) and iNOS (plays an important role in physiological and pathological processes, for example inflammatory) in the structural components of the chorionic villi, various signs of their response at the molecular level during spontaneous and recurrent early pregnancy miscarriage will make it possible to understand the pathogenesis of this pathology. The purpose of this study was to investigate the role of expression of immunohistochemical markers –Ki67 and inducible nitrogen oxide synthase in the structural components of the chorionic villi of human embryos derived from sporadic, recurrent miscarriage of pregnancy, and to compare the results obtained from artificial abortions. The group of sporadic miscarriage included 42 samples, a group of recurrent miscarriage included 33 samples and control group – 35 samples. Expression of Ki67 marker was observed only in the nuclei of the cytotrophoblast and syncytial sprouts in all of the studied groups. A large number of proliferating cells of the cytotrophoblast was observed in the control group. In the groups of sporadic and habitual negligence, there was no or very low expression of this marker. After the use of antibodies to iNOS, no activity of the synthase on the cell surface or in their cytoplasm was observed in the control group. In two other groups, in most of the studied tissues – the picture was similar to control group. As a result of this study, the Ki67 expression activity was decreased in the cells of cytotrophoblast cells in sporadic and recurrent miscarriage of pregnancy, indicating a decrease in the processes of proliferation and differentiation of the components of the hematoplacental barrier, which slows down its formation and can play a key role in the development of miscarriage.
chorionic villi, immunohistochemistry, miscarriage, recurrent miscarriage, sporadic miscarriage
- Bilash SM, Bilash VP. Dynamika ekspresiyi markera proliferatsiyi na strukturnykh elementakh pid nyzhnʹoshchelepnykh slynnykh zaloz u porivnyalʹno-vydovomu aspekti v normi. Naukovo-praktychnyy zhurnal «Problemy nauky». Polʹshcha. 2017;6(6):19-21. [in Ukrainian].
- Lulko AV, Molchanov AV, Shponka IS. Ocenka ekspresii markerov kletochnogo cykla i mezhkletochnoj adgezii u pacyentov s poverkhnostnym rakom mochevogo puzyrja. Urolohija. 2012;16(1):52-60. [in Russiаn].
- Aldridge JR, Moseley CE, Boltz DA, Negovetich NJ, Reynolds C, Franks J, et al. TNF/iNOS-producing dendritic cells are the necessary evil of lethal influenza virus infection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2009;106(13):5306-11.
- Avwioro G. Histochemical uses of haematoxylin – a review. Jpcs. 2011;1:24-34.
- Baek KH, Lee EJ, Kim YS. Recurrent pregnancy loss: the key potential mechanisms. Trends in molecular medicine. 2007;13(7):310-7.
- Blaise GA, Gauvin D, Gangal M, Authier S. Nitric oxide, cell signaling and cell death. Toxicology. 2005;208(2):177-92.
- De Azambuja E, Cardoso F, de Castro G, Colozza M, Mano MS, Durbecq V, et al. Ki-67 as prognostic marker in early breast cancer: a metaanalysis of published studies involving 12 155 patients. British journal of cancer. 2007;96(10):1504-13.
- El-Sayed MM, Mohamed SA, Jones MH. Expectant management of first-trimester miscarriage. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009;29:681-5.
- Gerdes J, Schwab U, Lemke H, Stein H. Production of a mouse monoclonal antibody reactive with a human nuclear antigen associated with cell proliferation. Int J Cancer. 1983;31:13-20.
- Hewitson TD, Wigg B, Becker GJ. Tissue preparation for histochemistry: fixation, embedding, and antigen retrieval for light microscopy. Histology Protocols. Humana Press, Totowa, NJ;2010. р. 3-18.
- Hickey MJ, Granger DN, Kubes P. Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and regulation of leucocyte/endothelial cell interactions: studies in iNOS-deficient mice. Acta Physiologica. 2001;173(1):119-26.
- Inada K, Shima T, Nakashima A, Aoki K, Ito M, Saito S. Characterization of regulatory T cells in decidua of miscarriage cases with abnormal or normal fetal chromosomal content. Journal of reproductive immunology. 2013;97(1):104-11.
- Katz VL, Lentz GM, Lobo RA, Gershenson DM. Spontaneous and recurrent abortion: etiology, diagnosis, treatment. Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2012; chap 16.
- Kolte AM, Bernardi LA, Christiansen OB, Quenby S, Farquharson RG, Goddijn M, et al.Terminology for pregnancy loss prior to viability: a consensus statement from the ESHRE early pregnancy special interest group. Human Reproduction. 2014;30(3): 495-8.
- Lee RM, Silver RM. Recurrent pregnancy loss: summary and clinical recommendations. Semin Reprod Med. 2000;18:433-40.
- Meresman GF, Olivares C, Vighi S, Alfie M, Irigoyen M, Etchepareborda JJ. Apoptosis is increased and cell proliferation is decreased in out-ofphase endometria from infertile and recurrent abortion patients. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. 2010;8(1):126.
- Mgbemena V, Segovia J, Chang TH, Bose S. KLF6 and iNOS regulates apoptosis during respiratory syncytial virus infection. Cellular immunology. 2013;283(1):1-7.
- Mohangoo AD, Blondel B, Gissler M, Velebil P, Macfarlane A, Zeitlin J. International comparisons of fetal and neonatal mortality rates in highincome countries: should exclusion thresholds be based on birth weight or gestational age? PLoS ONE. 2013;8(5):e64869.
- National Coordinating Centre for Women’s and Children’s Health (UK) [Internet]. Ectopic Pregnancy and Miscarriage: Diagnosis and Initial Management in Early Pregnancy of Ectopic Pregnancy and Miscarriage. NICE Clinical Guidelines, No. 154. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists [Retrieved 4 July 2013]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK132775/
- Norwitz ER. Overview of the etiology and evaluation of vaginal bleeding in pregnant women. Waltham, MA: UpToDate; 2014. Available from: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/overview-of-the-etiology-and-evaluation-of-vaginal-bleeding-in-pregnant-women
- Panis C, Mazzuco TL, Costa CZF, Victorino VJ, Tatakihara VLH, Yamauchi LM, et al. Trypanosoma cruzi: effect of the absence of 5-lipoxygenase (5-LO)-derived leukotrienes on levels of cytokines, nitric oxide and iNOS expression in cardiac tissue in the acute phase of infection in mice. Experimental parasitology. 2011;127(1):58-65.
- Parveen F, Faridi RM, Alam S, Agrawal S. Genetic analysis of eNOS gene polymorphisms in association with recurrent miscarriage among North Indian women. Reproductive biomedicine online. 2011;23(1):124-31.
- Raffaelli F, Nanetti L, Vignini A, Mazzanti L, Giannubilo SR, Curzi CM, et al. Nitric oxide platelet production in spontaneous miscarriage in the first trimester. Fertility and sterility. 2010;93(6):1976-82.
- Regan L, Rai R, Backos M. The investigation and treatment of couples with recurrent first-trimester and second-trimester miscarriage. RCOG Green Top Guideline. 2011;17:1-17.
- Ware BD, Gibson M, Silver RM. Recurrent miscarriage. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363(18):1740-7.
- Yemelyanova A, Vang R, Kshirsagar M, Lu D, Marks MA, Shih IM, et al. Immunohistochemical staining patterns of p53 can serve as a surrogate marker for TP53 mutations in ovarian carcinoma: an immunohistochemical and nucleotide sequencing analysis. Modern pathology. 2011;24(9):1248.
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 1 Part 1 (142), 2018 year, 280-285 pages, index UDK 618.39-091.8-092.19