EFFECT OF MAGNESIUM THERAPY ON SURVIVAL IN PATIENTS WITH EXTREMELY SEVERE POLYTRAUMA, WHO HAVE DIED IN THE ANESTHESIOLOGY AND INTENSIVE CARE UNIT
About the author:
Biletskiy O. V., Kursov S. V.
CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE
Type of article:
The aim of the investigation was comparatively study the effect of magnesium therapy on daily and weekly survival in patients with extremely severe traumatic trauma (Injury Severity Score 51-75 score), who died in the anesthesia and surgery department in 2016-2018. All this patients, came to the clinic, provided with medical measures, stipulated by the content of the protocols of the MOH of Ukraine Orders. However, the patients in the main group received, as part of the primary fluid resuscitation infusion of 25% hypertensive magnesium sulfate solution in normal saline. The initial dose was 0.30 ± 0.05 ml/kg of 25% magnesium sulfate solution. The application of the technique is justified by accelerating the recovery of circulating blood volume under the influence of osmosis, stabilization under the influence of magnesium heart rate, preventing cell overload with calcium and excessive activation of free radical oxidation reactions. In 2016, 25 patients were included in the main group, and 44 patients in the control group. In 2017, 36 patients were included in the main group and 46 patients in the control group. In 2018, 41 patients were included in the main group and 41 were in the control group. Results of treatment of 233 patients with extremely severe polytrauma, who died. When comparing, no significant differences has found between the mean age of the patients, the average mass, and the average surface area of the body. The statistical analysis annually shows that carrying out magnesium therapy was associated with a significant increase in daily and weekly survival with a very low chance of an accidental event.
polytrauma, Injury Severity Score, survival, mortality, magnesium, magnesium sulfate, fluid resuscitation.
- Park SJ, Cho YJ, Oh JH, Hwang JW, Do SH, Na HS. Pretreatment of magnesium sulphate improves intubating conditions of rapid sequence tracheal intubation using alfentanil, propofol, and rocuronium – a randomized trial. Korean Journal of Anesthesiology. 2013 Sept;65(3):221-7. DOI: 10.4097/kjae.2013.65.3.221
- Elsharnouby NM, Elsharnouby MM, Abou Elezz NF. Magnesium sulfate as an anesthetic adjuvant for children undergoing adenotonsillectomy. Ains Shams Journal of Anesthesiology. 2015 Dec 29;8(4):547-54.
- Baker WL. Treating arrhythmias with adjunctive magnesium: identifying future research directions. European Heart Journal – Cardiovascular Pharmacotherapy. 2017 Apr 01;3(2):108-17. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1093/ehjcvp/pvw028
- An G, Du Z, Meng X, Guo T, Shang R, Li J, et al. Association between low serum magnesium level and major adverse cardiac events in patients treated with drug-eluting stents for acute myocardial infarction [Internet]. PloS One. 2014 Jun 05;9(6):e98971. DOI: 10.1371/journal. pone.0098971
- Fazekas T, Scherlag BJ, Vos M, Wellens HJJ, Lazzara R. Magnesium and the Heart: Antiarrhythmic Therapy with Magnesium. Clinical Cardiology. 1993 Nov;16(11):768-74.
- Hu T, Xu H, Wang C, Qin H, An Z. Magnesium enhances the chondrogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells by inhibiting activated macrophage-induced inflammation [Internet]. Scientific Reports. 2018;8:3406-19. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-21783-2
- Moslehi N, Vafa M, Rahimi-Foroushani A, Golestan B. Effects of oral magnesium supplementation on inflammatory markers in middle-aged overweight women. Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2012 Jul;17(7):607-14.
- Yakovtsov IZ, Biletskyi OV, Kursov SV, Yatsyna HS, Skoroplit SM. Pidvyshchennia endohennoi produktsii monooksydu vuhletsiu ta utvorennia nebezpechnoho vmistu v krovi karboksyhemohlobinu u patsiientiv z politravmoiu, shcho perebuvaiut v krytychnykh stanakh. Problemy bezperervnoi medychnoi osvity ta nauky. 2018;4(32):45-50. [in Ukrainian].
- Zheltova AA, Kharitonova MV, Iezhitsa IN, Spasov AA. Magnesium deficiency and oxidative stress: an update. BioMedicine. 2016 Dec;6(4):8- 14. DOI: 10.7603/s40681-016-0020-6
- Sampaio FA, Feitosa MM, Sales CH, Costa e Silva DM, Clímaco Cruz KJ, Oliveira FE, et al. Influence of magnesium on biochemical parameters of iron and oxidative stress in patients with type 2 diabetes. Nutricion Hospitalaria. 2014;30(3):570-6.
- Biletskyi OV. Efekt zastosuvannia mahniiu sulfatu z metoiu stabilizatsii hemodynamiky na rannomu shpytalnomu etapi u postrazhdalykh z miokardialnoiu kontuziieiu na tli politravmy. Visnyk problem biolohii i medytsyny. 2019;1(1)(148):96-101. [in Ukrainian].
- Biletskyi OV, Kursov SV. Zastosuvannia mahniiu sulfatu z metoiu pryskorennia vyvedennia postrazhdalykh iz stanu hipovolemichnoho travmatychnoho shoku v umovakh reanimatsiinoi zaly ta operatsiinoi. Bil, zneboliuvannia ta intensyvna terapiia. 2018;3(84):30-5. [in Ukrainian].
- Selyverstov PA, Shapkyn YuH. Otsenka tiazhesty y prohnozyrovanye yskhoda polytravmy: sovremennoe sostoianye problemy (obzor). Sovremennye tekhnolohyy v medytsyne. 2017;9(2). Dostupno: http://www.stm-journal.ru/ru/numbers/2017/2/1359/html [in Russian].
- Ankyn LN. Polytravma. Moskva: MEDpress-ynform; 2004. 173 s. [in Russian].
- Marapov DY, Zakyrov YK, Yskandarov YD. Portal «Medytsynskaia statystyka» [Internet]; [approved 2013; cited Aug 10, 2019]. Dostupno: http://medstatistic.ru/authors.html [in Russian].
- Yvanov AY, Hazyn AY, Viatchanyn SE, Perfylov KA. Sravnenye moshchnosty khy-kvadrat kryteryia y kryteryia Kramera-fon Myzesa dlia malykh testovykh vyborok byometrycheskykh dannykh. Nadezhnost y kachestvo slozhnykh system. 2016;2(14):67-74. [in Russian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 3 (152), 2019 year, 80-84 pages, index UDK 616-001.3/36-03/08-036.1-036.8-092.4