THE PROBLEM OF FORMING MOTIVATION IN STUDENTS OF THE GRADUATE COURSES OF MEDICAL HIGHER EDUCATION IN STUDYING THE «OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY» DISCIPLINE
About the author:
Kurtash N. Ya.
Type of article:
Aim: to study the peculiarities of students’ motivation and professional competence in studying the subject “Obstetrics and Gynecology” in the senior courses of a medical school. This article is a review of the literature and personal observations and experiences regarding the formation of motivation to study the subject of obstetrics and gynecology, as well as professional improvement of students of senior courses of medical universities. Today, motivation to study can be viewed from different perspectives. Students’ educational and cognitive activity is determined by a combination of different motives. The concepts of “motive” and “motivation” are distinguished. The components of the concept of motivation to study and their main characteristics were examined, the types of motives for obtaining the professional competence of future doctors were determined. In scientific studies, motivation is considered through the prism of a psychological nature, which determines a person’s behavior, orientation and activity. The motives of educational activity are classified by modality – positive and negative, orientation – social and cognitive, procedural-resultant orientation – discrete and procedural, localization of stimuli of behavior – external and internal. Educational motivation is determined by a number of specific factors: educational system, educational institution, organization of educational process, subjective characteristics of the student and teacher, specificity of educational subjects. In addition to the motivation of the learning process distinguish between motivation for behavior, in particular, motivation for success (positive, aimed at achieving something constructive) and motivation for the fear of failure (negative, aimed at avoiding disruption, condemnation, punishment). Therefore, the motivational component of learning activities encompasses cognitive needs, motives and meaning of learning. Some researchers consider cognitive motives as the most appropriate educational activities. Rebuilding a higher education based on a competency approach requires a reorientation of teaching for senior students, combining a traditional, informative teaching paradigm and an innovative, competency-based system that builds on the future physician’s skills. The task of teachers of medical educational institutions, in addition to adhering to the curriculum, is to accentuate the formation of professional values that are necessary for the work of the future doctor: humanity, nobility, dedication to their work and future patients – all this will significantly help in the further development of a specialist. The acquisition of these qualities must be formed directly during the educational process, because in clinical departments senior students are already actively working with patients. From my own teaching experience it became clear that senior students generally lack motivation to study obstetrics and gynecology. There are several reasons for this: personal, social and economic. Training the right specialist requires the use of a holistic, practically-oriented approach to the chosen profession, determining the value of the doctor’s future work, optimal technological preparation of the training process, selfregulation skills, self-organization and self-education. The competence of the future physician should be formed both in the classroom and in the student’s independent work. For effective learning of the educational material it is necessary to apply different methods and training tools designed to optimize the creative component of the personality of the specialist. The motivation of students of medical universities to study is a way and the ultimate goal of study, which is a priority and correlates with the professional competence of the young specialist, and in addition, significantly influences its final formation. That is why the leading role in the professional activity of the teacher of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology in the context of stimulation of educational motives is the involvement of the student in practical work in the wards, to the scientific and practical circle at the department, followed by the preparation of problematic reports at student conferences, night duty, participation in morning medical meetings, clinical rounds, mastering the latest diagnostic technologies. Conclusions. Rebuilding a higher education based on a competency approach requires a reorientation of teaching for senior students, combining a traditional, informative teaching paradigm and an innovative, competency-based system that builds on the future physician’s skills.
motivation, students of medical schools, professional competence.
- Mykhaylychenko VY, Polyansʹka VV. Rolʹ motyvatsiyi navchalʹno-piznavalʹnoyi diyalʹnosti u formuvanni profesiynoyi spryamovanosti studentiv. Pedahohika formuvannya tvorchoyi osobystosti u vyshchiy i zahalʹnoosvitniy shkolakh. Zb. nauk. pratsʹ Zaporizhs’kogo Klasych. pryvat. un-tu. 2011;17:320-7. [in Ukrainian].
- Kondurar MV. Ponjatie kompetencija i kompetentnost’ v obrazovanii. Vektor nauki TGU. 2012;1(8):189-92. [in Russiаn].
- Zhmakina NL, Komolova EG. Formirovanie professional’noj kompetentnosti specialista obrazovatel’nogo uchrezhdenija. Vestnik Nizhnevartovskogo gosudarstvenogo un-ta. 2010;1:1-7. [in Russian].
- Hylyun OV. Osvitni motyvatsiyi student·sʹkoyi molodi. Nauk.-teoret. i hromad.-polit. alʹmanakh Hrani Dnipropetr. nats. un-tu im. O. Honchara. 2012;1:102-4. [in Ukrainian].
- Abashina VV. Stanovlenie sub’ektnoj pozicii budushhih pedagogov doshkol’nogo obrazovanija v obrazovatel’nom processe vuza. Koncept. 2013;56:1-5. [in Russian].
- Perepelytsia PS, Rybalko VV, redaktory. Psykholohiya pratsi ta profesiynoyi pidhotovky osobystosti. Khmelʹnytsʹkyy: TUP. s. 48-67. [in Ukrainian].
- Dahin AN. Modelirovanie kompetentnosti uchastnikov otkrytogo obrazovanija. Pedagogicheskie tehnologii. 2007;4:10-24. [in Russian].
- Vershynsʹka OB. Problemy formuvannya navchalʹnoyi motyvatsiyi studentiv. VNZ. 2010 [Internet]. Dostupno: http://tme.umo.edu.ua/docs/ Dod/1_2010/VERSHYNSKA.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Dzyubko L, Hrytsenyuk L. Motyvatsiya navchalʹnoyi diyalʹnosti yak psykholoho-pedahohichna problema. Psykholinhvistyka. 2009;4:33-43. [Internet]. Dostupno: http://nbuv.gov.ua/jpdf/psling_2009_4_5.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Bondarchuk EI. Osnovy psihologii i pedagogiki. Kurs lekcij. Kyiv: MAUP; 2001. 168 s. [in Russian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 3 (152), 2019 year, 242-246 pages, index UDK 37.013+378.147+618