ELECTRONIC-MICROSCOPIC CHANGES OF THE SPLEEN UNDER THE ACTION OF SODIUM GLUTAMATE AND THEIR CORRECTION BY ORLISTAT
About the author:
Harapko T. V., Mateshuk-Vatseba L. R.
Type of article:
.Sodium glutamate is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, which is widely used as a flavor enhancer in food. The aim of the study was to study submicroscopic changes of structural components of the spleen of rats under the action of monosodium glutamate and their correction by orlistat (xenical). Methods. This experimental study was performed on 56 white male and female rats of reproductive age (2.5- 5.5 months) weighing 120-250 g. For six weeks, the animals received sodium glutamate daily with food at a dose of 0.07 g/kg body weight, after which they switched to a standard diet with the addition of orlistat (xenical) at a dose of 4,5 mg/kg for two, four and six weeks. Sections of the spleen were made on an ultramicrotome UMTP-6M with a diamond knife (DIATOM) and double contrast was performed according to Reynolds and uranyl acetate. Submicroscopic examinations of the organ were performed using an electron transmission microscope TEM-100. The test material was documented using a SONY-H9 digital camera. Results. After six weeks of exposure to monosodium glutamate, profound destructive changes in cell composition and vascular components were detected in the parenchyma of the spleen. In particular, the number of lymphocytes with signs of apoptosis at different stages (karyopyknosis, karryorhexis, karyolysis) increased significantly, the number of cells with signs of mitosis decreased. There are whole zones of neurophilic and basophilic granulocytes. The nuclei of macrophages are slightly reduced, contain lumens condensed by heterochromatin, the cytoplasm is loaded with fragments of other cells, parts of erythrocytes, siderophages and osmophilic (fatty) inclusions. The periarterial zone is dominated by small and medium lymphocytes, there are signs of edema. Small and medium lymphocytes are concentrated in the mantle zone. Significantly increased in the field of view of the microscope the number of megakaryocytes over the entire area of the parenchyma of the organ. The red pulp is full-blooded, contains areas of accumulation of deformed blood cells, polysegmental neutrophils and megakaryocytes. Blood capillaries with reduced lumen due to edema of endothelial nuclei and their protrusion into the lumen. The basement membrane is swollen, layered, swelling around the vessels. After six weeks of correction of the changes with orlistat revealed a significant reduction in the number of destructively altered cells, the number of myeloid cells and plethora of blood vessels in the parenchyma of the organ. The intercellular spaces are somewhat dilated, there are signs of edema in the vascular spaces. In some lymphocytes the nucleolus is not clearly expressed, the karyolema is not equal, the cytoplasm is enlightened. The number of osmophilic (fat) inclusions decreased both in the intercellular space and in the cytoplasm of cells. Conclusions. Therefore, orlistat has a positive effect on the components of the spleen, the changes in which were caused by the action of sodium glutamate.
spleen, sodium glutamate, orlistat, rat, lymphocytes, macrophages. Р
- Ugur Calis I, Turgut Cosan D, Saydam F, Kerem Kolac U, Soyocak A, Kurt H, et al. The Effects of Monosodium Glutamate and Tannic Acid on Adult Rats. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2016;18(10):e37912. DOI: 10.5812/ircmj.37912
- Umukoro S, Oluwole GO, Olamijowon HE, Omogbiya AI, Eduviere AT. Effect of monosodium glutamate on behavioral phenotypes, biomarkers of oxidative stress in brain tissues and liver enzymes in mice. World J. of Neuroscience. 2015;5:339-49.
- Maluly HDB, Arisseto-Bragotto AP, Reyes FGR. Monosodium glutamate as a tool to reduce sodium in foodstuffs: technological and safety aspects. Food Sci Nutr. 2017;5:1039-48. DOI: 10.1002/fsn3.499
- Bhattacharya T, Bhakta A, Ghosh SK. Long term effect of monosodium glutamate in liver of albino mice after neo-natal exposure. Nepal Med Coll J. 2011;13(1):11-6.
- Paul MV, Abhilash M, Varghese MV, Alex M, Nair RH. Protective effects of alpha-tocopherol against oxidative stress related to nephrotoxicity by monosodium glutamate in rats. Toxicol Mech Methods. 2012;22(8):625-30. DOI: 10.3109/15376516.2012.714008
- Shivasharan BD, Nagakannan P, Thippeswamy BS, Veerapur VP. Protective Effect of Calendula officinalis L. Flowers Against Monosodium Glutamate Induced Oxidative Stress and Excitotoxic Brain Damage in Rats. Indian J Clin Biochem. 2013;28(3):292-8. DOI: 10.1007/ s12291-012-0256-1
- Sharma A, Prasongwattana V, Cha’on U, Selmi C, Hipkaeo W, Boonnate P, et al. Monosodium glutamate consumption is associated with urolithiasis and urinary tract obstruction in rats. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75546.
- Sharma A. Monosodium glutamate induced oxidative kidney damage and possible mechanisms: a mini-review. J Biomed Sci. 2015;22:e93. DOI: 10.1186/s12929-015-0192-5
- Sharma A, Wongkham C, Prasongwattana V, Boonnate P, Thanan R, Reungjui S, et al. Proteomic analysis of kidney in rats chronically exposed to monosodium glutamate. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e116233.
- Talajbekov MT, Madaminova MA, Bedelbaev SA, Nurkeev NB. Glutamat natriya. Vliyanie na zdorove cheloveka. Vestnik KyrgyzskoRossijskogo Slavyanskogo universiteta. 2020;20(1):63-7. [in Russiаn].
- Krynytska I, Marushchak M, Naumova L, Mazur L. The Toxic Impact of Monosodium Glutamate in Rats. Jordan Medical Journal. 2019;53:91-101.
- Amin KA, Galaly SR, Hozayen WG, Ramadan SM. Effects of Orlistat and Herbal Mixture Extract on Renal Function and Oxidative Stress Biomarkers in a Rat Model of High Fat Diet. International Journal of Biochemistry Research & Review. 2014;4(2):173-92.
- Amin HM, Tawfek NS, Hussein BKA-E, El-Ghany MSA. Anti-Obesity Potential of Orlistat and Amphetamine in Rats Fed on High Fat Diet. Middle East J. Appl. Sci. 2015;4(2):453-61.
- Harapko TV. Electron microscopic changes of lymph nodes during correction of sodium glutamate action by melatonin. Reports of Morphology. 2020;26(1):59-64. DOI: 10.31393/morphology-journal-2020-26(1)-09
- Tawfik MS, Al-Badr N. Adverse Effects of Monosodium Glutamate on Liver and Kidney Functions in Adult Rats and Potential Protective Effect of Vitamins C and E. Food Nutr Sci. 2012;3(5):651-9. DOI: 10.4236/fns.2012.35089
- Nnadozie JO, Chijioke UO, Okafor OC, Olusina DB, Oli AN, Nwonu PC, et al. Chronic toxicity of low dose monosodium glutamate in albino Wistar rats. BMC Res Notes. 2019;12:e593. DOI: 10.1186/s13104-019-4611-7
- Shemediuk NP, Zaitsev OO, Butsiak VI. Histolohichni zminy selezinky, pechinky, nyrok tvaryn za dii bioaktyvnykh rechovyn. Sovremennуe problemу toksykolohyy. 2010;2-3:54-7. [in Ukrainian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 3 (157), 2020 year, 217-221 pages, index UDK 616.411/.418-092.18-02:613.29:547-085