CORRECTION OF ORAL CAVITY MICROBIOTA DURING INFLAMMATORY PERIODONTAL DISEASES
About the author:
Kryvtsova M. V., Kostenko Y. Y.
Type of article:
Chronic periodontitis is a multifactor genesis disease. At its initial stages, an important role is played by imbalances between the infection factors (periodontopathogens), immune reactivity, and the state of free radical processes in the periodontium tissues. At the same time, disorders of the oral cavity microbiota and persistence of opportunistic microorganisms characterized by a high level of resistance to antimicrobial preparations, are observed in these cases. The purpose of this paper was to study the efficiency of correction of the oral cavity microbiota with the use of plant-based antiseptic and probiotics against a background of treatment of chronic periodontitis patients. Object and methods. The research was performed in groups of 15 patients each: 1) probiotic treatment considering the isolates’ sensitivity to the antimicrobial preparation; 2) application of the plant-based antiseptic Sangviritrin along with an antibiotic drug; 3) application of plant-based antiseptic Sangviritrin and probiotic Biosporin along with an antibiotic drug. Biological sampling from the oral cavities of patients with stage II-III chronic generalized periodontitis was performed with the use of a sterile applicator in the transport tube (AMIES). The biological material was plated on nutrient media by Gold plating method with the use of differentially diagnostic nutrient media (Himedia) and a subsequent identification with Erba Lachema (Czechia) test-systems. Results. A significant growth in the level of opportunistic microorganisms under chronic periodontitis was observed against a background of the decreased level of indigenous microbiota representatives. The application of the Sangviritrin facilitated a more efficient decrease in the number of aerobic and optionally anaerobic microorganisms, in particular S.aureus, S.haemolyticus, E.faecalis, C.albicans, and Enterobacteriaceae genus bacteria. The oral cavity microbiota correction efficiency was observed to be the highest in case of the joint application of the antibiotic drug (prescribed according to the sensitivity of the isolate), Sangviritrin, and probiotic Biosporin. The patients of this group showed the most expressed decrease of opportunistic microorganisms against a background of restoration of indigenous representatives of the oral cavity microbiota. Conclusion. Promising is the application of a comprehensive, differential approach to the correction of microbiota in the oral cavity, taking into account the dominant associations and their sensitivity to antibacterial drugs, including plant-based antiseptic and probiotics, which, in addition to antimicrobial and antagonistic activity, do not violate the composition of indigenous microbiota.
chronic periodontitis, oral cavity microbiota, opportunistic microorganisms, plant-based antiseptic, probiotics.
- Socransky SS, Haffajee AD. In: Clinical Periodontology and Implant Dentistry, 4th Ed. Lindhe J, Karring T, Lang N, editors. 2003. p. 106-49.
- Heller D, Silva-Boghossian CM, do Souto RM, Colombo AP. Subgingival microbial profiles of generalized aggressive and chronic periodontal diseases. Arch Oral Biol. 2012;57(7):973-80.
- Bascones Martínez A, Figuero Ruiz E. Periodontal diseases as bacterial infection. Av Periodon Implantol. 2005;17(3):111-8.
- Kryvtsova MV, Kostenko YY. Dominant microbial associations of oral cavity periodontitis and features of their sensitivity to antibacterial drugs. Studia Biologica [Internet]. Ivan Franko National University of Lviv. 2020;14(1):51-62.
- Krisenko OV, Skljar TV, Voronkova OS, Sіrokvasha OA, Shevchenko TM. Features of microbial assotiation composition an antibiotic resistence of oral cavity microflora. Microbiology & Biotechnology. 2014;1(25):35-44.
- Listgarten MA, Loomer PM. Microbial identification in the management of periodontal diseases. A systematic review. Ann Periodontol. 2003;8(1):182-92
- Kryvtsova MV, Kostenko YeYa. Perspektyvy vykorystannya fito- ta antyseptychnykh preparativ dlya korektsiyi mikrobioty rotovoyi porozhnyny z urakhuvannyam indyvidualʹnykh osoblyvostey asotsiatsiy umovno-patohennykh mikroorhanizmiv. Visnyk problem biolohiyi i medytsyny. 2019;4.2(154):382-5. [in Ukrainian].
- Caton JG, Armitage G, Berglundh T, Chapple ILC, Jepsen S, Kornman KS, Tonetti MS. A new classification scheme for periodontal and peri-implant diseases and conditions – Introduction and key changes from the 1999 classification. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. 2018;45:1-8.
- Vos P, Garrity G, Jones D, Krieg NR, Ludwig W, Rainey FA, Whitman W. Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology. 2011;3: The Firmicutes (3). Springer Science & Business Media.
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 3 (157), 2020 year, 331-336 pages, index UDK 615.2819