TOPIRAMITE IN THE PREVENTIVE TREATMENT OF MIGRAINE
About the author:
Krivchun А. М.
CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE
Type of article:
Among the primary headaches, one of the most common is migraine. Modern principles of migraine therapy include effective relief of migraine attacks and course preventive treatment. In recent years, anticonvulsants have been used increasingly for the prevention of migraine. Proven, that successful preventive treatment of migraine decrease frequency and hardness of cephalgic paroxysms, prevent transformation of episodic headache in a chronical, prevent development structural changes in central neural system, improves quality of patient`s life. Preventive therapy conducts if a frequency of migraine attacks appears more than twice a month. The aim of the study was to study the efficacy of topiramate at a dose of 50 mg per day for the preventive treatment of migraine. 15 patients aged from 20 to 53 years was surveyed. The average of disease duration was 19.20±9.58 years. The duration of topiramat administration was 6.00±0.71 months. The frequency of attacks in general in the group after the course of treatment decreased 2.1 times: on average, to 2.02±0.97 times per month. The average duration of the attack was significantly reduced from 57.7±25.73 to 30.30±31.82 hours. The intensity of pain decreased from 8.60±1.12 to 5.50±2.34 points of a VAS scale. The level of anxiety, depression, the degree of disturbance of daily activity also decreased, but these figures are not statistically significant. The correlation analysis revealed no dependence of the effectiveness of topiramate on the age, experience of the disease, the frequency and duration of attacks, the intensity of the pain syndrome. The drug was well tolerated by patients, no side effects that required discontinuation of the drug were observed. Thus, topiramate at a dose of 50 mg per day (once a night) is an effective drug for the preventive treatment of migraine.
migraine, preventive treatment, topiramate
- Mishchenko TS. Migren’ (epidemiologiya, diagnostika, lecheniye, profilaktika). Ukrayinsʹkyy visnyk psykhonevrolohiyi. 2010;18;2(63):26-33. [in Russian].
- Del’va MY, Nikiforova YC. Khronicheskaya migren’: sovremennyye printsipy menedzhmenta (obzor literatury). Mezhdunarodnyy nevrologicheskiy zhurnal. 2016;2(80):126-32. [in Russian].
- Vos T, Flaxman A, Naghavi M. Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. The Lancet. 2013;380(9859):163-96.
- Golovacheva VA, Parfenov VA. Triptany v lechenii migreni. Meditsinskiy sovet. 2015;10:26-32. [in Russian].
- Filatova YeG, Klimov MV. Antikonvul’santy v profilakticheskoy terapii migreni. Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii. 2003;10:65-7. [in Russian].
- Veyn AM. Golovnaya bol’. Zh. nevrologii i psikhiatrii im. S.S. Korsakova. 1996;96(3):5-8. [in Russian].
- Karlov VA, Yakhno NN, Mel’nichuk PV. Migren’, puchkovay golovnaya bol’, golovnaya bol’ napryazheniya. Bolezni nervnoy sistemy. M.: Meditsina; 1995. s. 325-37. [in Russian].
- Evans R. A rational approach to the management of chronic migraine. Headache. The Journal of Head and Face Pain. 2013;53(1):168-76.
- Podchufarova YeV. Migren’: sovremennyye podkhody k diagnostike i lecheniyu (po materialam zhurnala «Neurology». 2003;60:2). Nevrologicheskiy zhurnal. 2004;4:57-62. [in Russian].
- Evans RW, Loder EM, Biondi DM. When can successful migraine prophylaxis be discontinued. Headache. 2004;44(10):1040-2.
- Santanello N, Davies G, Allen C, Kramer M, Lipton R. Determinents of migraine-specific quality of life. Cephalalgia. 2005;22(8):680-5.
- Silberstein SD. Migraine: preventive treatment. Curr Med Res Opin. 2001;17(1s): 87-93.
- Loder E, Biondi D. General principles of migraine management: the changing role of prevention. Headache. 2005;45(s1):33-47.
- Veyn AM. Vegetativnyye rasstroystva: klinika, diagnostika, lecheniye. M.: OOO «Meditsinskoye informatsionnoye agentstvo»; 2003. 752 s. [in Russian].
- Nemchenko YuM, Sorokova YeV, Belkin AA. Sochetaniye migreni i epilepsii. Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii. 2005;12:43-5. [in Russian].
- Silberstein SD, Goadsby PG. Migraine: preventive treatment. Cephalalgia. 2002;22(7):491-512.
- Naegel S, Obermann M. Topiramate in the prevention and treatment of migraine: efficacy, safety and patient preference. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 2010;6:17-28.
- Diamond M, Dahlf C, Papadopoulos G, Neto W. Topiramate improves health-related quality of life when used to prevent migraine. Headache. 2005;45:1023-30.
- Brandes JL. Practical use of topiramate for migraine prevention. Headache. 2005;45(s1):66-73.
- Azimova YuE, Tabeyeva GR. Profilakticheskaya terapiya migreni topamaksom: otdalennyye rezul’taty. Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii. 2006;1:24-6. [in Russian].
- Silberstein SD. Topiramate in migraine prevention. Headache. 2005;45(s1):57-65. 22. Dorofeyeva MYu, Belousova YeD. Lecheniye golovnoy boli napryazheniya i migreni. Lechashchiy vrach. 2004;6:70-5. [in Russian].
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 4 Part 2 (147), 2018 year, 148-151 pages, index UDK 616.857:615.2