OUTCOMES OF SURGICAL TREATMENT FOR TOTAL ANOMALOUS PULMONARY VENOUS CONNECTION
About the author:
Imanov E., Dzyurii I., Pliska O., Truba Y., Lazoryshynets V.
CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE
Type of article:
Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection (TAPVC) is a rare cyanotic congenital heart defect that occurs from 1% to 3% of all congenital heart abnormalities. Without cardiac surgery, most patients (about 80%) with TAPVC die within the first year of life. The treatment of such patients is a complex and difficult problem. Up to now, surgical correction of this defect is accompanied by a significant mortality rate. The aim of this work is to analyze the results of surgical treatment of total anomalous pulmonary venous connection in children operated from 2006 to 2018. Object and methods. For the period from 2006 to 2018 at the “National Amosov Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery” treated 34 consecutive patients with TAPVC. The mean age of the patients was 109.3±101.4 days (from 2 to 505 days), respectively, and mean weight was 4.01±1.1 kg. It was found that in 57.1% (20) patients there was a supracardiac form of anomaly, in 14.2% (5) – an intracardiac form, in 17.1% (6) of patients – infracardiac and in 11.4% (4) – mixed form. Results. Two patients (5.8%) died in the postoperative period. The causes of death among patients were: progressive heart failure (n = 1), which was a consequence of small size of the left ventricle, one patient died after pulmonary hypertensive crises due to increased reactivity of the pulmonary vessels in the early postoperative period. Conclusion. Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection belongs to the group of complex congenital heart defects. In recent years, due to the development of prenatal and improving the quality of postnatal diagnosis, changes in treatment tactics, improvement of surgical techniques, the level of postoperative mortality has decreased significantly.
congenital heart defect, total anomalous pulmonary venous connection, infants.
- Guocheng Shi, Zhongqun Zhu, Jimei Chen, Yanqiu Ou, Haifa Hong, Zhiqiang Nie, et al. Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection, the current management strategies in a pediatric cohort of 768 patients. Circulation. 2017;135:48-58.
- Camille L. Hancock Friesen, David Zurakowski, Ravi R. Thiagarajan, Joseph M. Forbess, Pedro J. del Nido, John E. Mayer, et al. Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection: An Analysis of Current Management Strategies in a Single Institution. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:596-606.
- Youngok Lee, Joon Yong Cho, O Young Kwon, Woo Sung Jang. Outcomes of Surgery for Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return without Total Circulatory Arrest. Korean J. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;49:337-43.
- Karamlou T, Gurofsky R, Al Sukhni E, Coles JG, WilliamWG, Caldarone CA, et al. Factors associated with mortality and reoperation in 377 children with total anomalous pulmonary venous connection. Circulation. 2007;115:1591-8.
- Boguta LYu, Emec IM. Chirurgichna korekcia totalnogo anomalnogo drenagu legenevich ven: vlasna technichna modificatia. Sercevo-sudinna chirurgia: schorichnik naukovich prac Associacii sercevo-sudinnich chirurgiv Ukraini. 2006;14:17-8. [in Ukrainian].
- Emec ІM. Totalniy anomalniy drenag legenevich ven: rezultati chirurgichnogo likuvannia. Chirurgaya ditiachogo viku. 2012;3:19-224. [in Ukrainian].
- Abdulaev FZ, Bagirov IМ, Kazimadze NDG. Korrekcia totalnogo anomalnogo drenaga legochnich ven u vzroslich bolnich. Kardiologia I serdechno-sosudistai chirurgia. 2015;6:74-9. [in Russiаn].
- Kirklin JW, Barratt-Boyes BG, editors. Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection. Cardiac Surgery. Fourth Edition. Saunders; 2013. p. 1182-208.
- Craig JM, Darling RC, Rothney WB. Total pulmonary venous drainage into the right side of the heart; report of 17 autopsied cases not associated with other major cardiovascular anomalies. Lab Invest. 1957;6(1):44-64.
- Seale AN, Uemura H, Webber SA, Partridge J, Roughton M, Ho SY, et al. Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection. Morphology and Outcome From an International Population-Based Study. Circulation. 2010;122:2718-26.
- Fu ChM, Wang JK, Lu ChW. Total Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Connection: 15 Years’ Experience of a Tertiary Care Center in Taiwan. Pediatrics and Neonatology. 2012;53:164-70.
- Karamlou T, Gurofsky R, Al Sukhni E, John G. Coles, William G. Williams, Christopher A. Caldarone, et al. Factors associated with mortality and reoperation in 377 children with total anomalous pulmonary venous connection. Circiulation. 2007;115(12):1591-8.
Publication of the article:
«Bulletin of problems biology and medicine» Issue 4 Part 2 (154), 2019 year, 91-94 pages, index UDK 616.12-007.2-053.2:616.141]-089.168