Abstract (summary) performs the following functions:
- allows you to set the main content of the document to determine its relevance and decide whether to refer to the full text of the document;
- provides information about the document and eliminates the need to read the full text of the document if the document is of secondary interest to the reader;
- is used in informational, including automated, system for retrieval of documents and information.
Abstract (summary) must be:
- informative (not contain common words);
meaningful (to reflect the main content of articles and research results);
- structured (follow the logic description of the results in the article);
compact (packed in a volume of 120 up to 250 words).
Abstract (summary) includes the following aspects of the content of the article:
- subject, goal;
method or the methodology of work;
- results of the work;
area of application of results;
The sequence of presentation of article content can be changed, starting with the presentation of results and conclusions.
Subject, theme, aim of the work specified in the event that they are not clear from title of the article.
Results of the work describes an extremely accurate and informative. Identifies the main theoretical and experimental results, the actual data, detected relationships and patterns. Moreover, preference have new results and long-term data values, important discoveries, findings that contradict existing theories, as well as data that, according to the author, have a practical value.
Conclusions are accompanied by recommendations, ratings, suggestions, hypotheses, described in the article.
The information contained in the title, should not be repeated in the text of abstract (summary). Avoid unnecessary introductory phrases (eg, "the author examines the ...").
In the text of abstract (summary) should be used syntactic constructs inherent in language of scientific and technical documents, avoid complex grammatical constructions.
In the text of abstract (summary) should use relevant words from the text of the article.